Australian Cavalry, The NSW Lancer Regiment, etc.

Reviews and commentary on books, films, etc.
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Some recent correspondence reminded me of this work, which is available free on-line at the MHI website. I'll provide the link below.

This work probably genuinely qualifies as obscure, but it is a very interesting one for students of cavalry. It was authored in 1901 by Frank Wilkinson, a war correspondent for the Sidney Daily Telegraph. The forward is provided by Major Gen. French.

By way of its title, the reader would no doubt suspect that this is a straight forward history of the New South Wales Lancers in the Boer War. It is that, but it is more than that. The book was really written as an argument in favor of traditional cavalry over the then emerging arm of mounted infantry. Mounted infantry, of course, saw quite a bit of action in the Boer War, and in some ways the popular image of the war, at least now, is that of a mounted infantryman. In his book, however, Wilkinson passionately argues the cause of traditional cavalry, ie., the soldier armed with lance and sword. Apparently, as a result of the Boer War, the argument was being made that traditional cavalry was a thing of the past, and the lance armed soldier's day was done. Wilkinson, however, maintained it was not. To read a contemporary argument on this topic is simply fascinating.

Additionally, this book presents an interesting contemporary viewpoint of the military force of the British Empire. While now we would think of any force from Australia as being Australian, a force from Canada being Canadian, etc., a theme running through the book is the view of at least some members of the British Empire in viewing the various colonial forces, together with the English Army, as a single entity. Quite an interesting read.

A brief caveat here should be added. I feel this book is well worth the read, but I haven't read it for awhile myself. So, while I recommend it, I admit to giving this review without all of the text freshly in mind. Therefor, my review would no doubt have been better if I had just read the book.

Again, this may be down loaded from MHI. It will, however, take awhile depending upon how speedy your computer is. In order to find it, scroll down to the item entitled "Australian Cavalry In the Boer War".

http://carlisle-www.army.mil/usamhi/DL/AtoZ.htm

Well, this appears to be one of those Army links that will not post for some odd reason. As you can see, the link is http://carlisle-www.army.mil/usamhi/DL/AtoZ.htm

If anyone needs helping finding it, and wishes to, go ahead and drop me an email.

Pat

Edited by - Pat Holscher on 02/01/2002 23:25:00

Edited by - Pat Holscher on 02/01/2002 23:27:11