Military curb bit?

A forum for general topics and questions.
Light Horse Charley

I have seen similar bits for sale on line they claim to be Cavalry/Artillery Curb bits. they have a small US stamped into one of the side bars and claim to have been used from 1911 through WW2. The one I have appears to be identical, except without the US . It is stamped with BT and another unidentifiable letter, possibly an O or U, and another B stamp with unidentifiable possibly I or 1 in front of it. Any help appreciated.
Attached 2 photos, but don't see them any ideas?
Error
It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct.
Todd
Society Member
Last Name: Holmes

Guessing it looks a lot like this one: The 'BTC' are contractor marks for 'Bridgeport Tool Company' , iirc , a prominent WW1 US contractor. The 'US' marking shows US military issue, and numeric mark is the size code ( 1 to 4 ). The contractor mark is usually found on the outer surface where the mouthpiece joins the side branch on one side, with the year of the contract marked on the other opposite side. BTC on the mouthpiece might be a variation for that particular contractor - 'Y & T' (Yale & Townsend) usually marked on outer surface of branch.
1909bit1.jpg
1909bit1.jpg (33.79 KiB) Viewed 1874 times
btc_1918.png
btc_1918.png (1.35 MiB) Viewed 1874 times
btc_1918_2.png
btc_1918_2.png (1.14 MiB) Viewed 1874 times

If this is the type you're speaking of, it is a US Model of 1909 curb bit, made by the wagon loads during WW1. It's a traditional Weymouth style.

It is rather difficult to find one in good condition with the original curb chain and hooks. The original chain and hooks were massive.
Light Horse Charley

Thank you Todd, that's the one. has the original Curb chain and hooks, and an approx 6" leather piece across the two small rings. I have it on a non military bridle hanging on my 1904 (12 inch seat) Artillery Saddle. I will post pic if you could tell me how to, or an email to send them to you. Because I would appreciate your impute on the type of Bridle and reins I need to be looking for. This is a display in my Radio Shack (man cave) as a tribute to my Cavalry ancestors. I have issue saddlebags, hooded stirrups, campaign hat and rifle scabbard, any other accouterments you can think of to complete the display appreciated.
Todd
Society Member

Here is best shot of those you sent - something was odd with those images so that forum wouldn't post - I'll have to investigate that.

This is definitely a Weymouth bit, nearly identical to military bits - although it might be nickel and not steel. However, it is not a military issue bit. Note there are no flattened spots at base of mouthpiece and branches on the bottom side of the bit.
ch_4-25-22_bit.JPG
ch_4-25-22_bit.JPG (129.73 KiB) Viewed 1866 times
Here is the JQMD specification drawing for a M1909 curb from 1920 - this shows that there was option for contractor to mark the outside of the branch or the mouthpiece, as well as what sizes the size codes ( 1,2,3,4) represent.
JQMD_drawing_1909bit.png
JQMD_drawing_1909bit.png (185.67 KiB) Viewed 1866 times
Todd
Society Member

Note in the QMD specification drawings from 1920 show the measurement being taken from the top of the bit branches. This was ALWAYS the method used to measure 1909 bits, as shown in this Nov 1911 Rock Island specification drawing. It can be a bit confusing as people assume that it refers to the width of the mouthpiece.
Nov_1911_RIA_drawing_1909curbbit.jpg
Nov_1911_RIA_drawing_1909curbbit.jpg (234.23 KiB) Viewed 1854 times