unidentified saddle

A forum for general topics and questions.
Philip S
Society Member
Last Name: Sauerlender

Yesterday I was asked to identify this saddle. It looks european military but there are no markings that I could find.
Attachments
saddle 5.jpg
saddle 5.jpg (127.14 KiB) Viewed 3717 times
saddle 4.jpg
saddle 4.jpg (109.45 KiB) Viewed 3717 times
saddle 3.jpg
saddle 3.jpg (93.02 KiB) Viewed 3717 times
saddle 2.jpg
saddle 2.jpg (107.96 KiB) Viewed 3717 times
Saddle 1.jpg
Saddle 1.jpg (95.97 KiB) Viewed 3717 times
Todd
Society Member
Last Name: Holmes

Japanese.
Philip S
Society Member
Last Name: Sauerlender

A Japanese copy of a British saddle...who would have thought?
I gave the info to the owners and they now have a saddle for sale!

https://www.cowanauctions.com/lot/japan ... dle-106607
Todd
Society Member

If you remove that top cover, you'll see a lot more of the German model than the British - iirc, there is a heavy rawhide seat with rawhide lacing, wooden parts heavily reinforced. Very indicative of the close relations between Japan and Germany.

These saddles also had what I consider to be the most beautifully shaped knife-edge military stirrups ever made. Oddly enough, the saddles are terribly common, but you rarely see the stirrups.
military_stirrup.jpg
military_stirrup.jpg (24.04 KiB) Viewed 3698 times
selewis
Society Member
Last Name: Lewis

I bought one of those saddles more than 20 years ago from A A Callister's tack store in Salt Lake City- West Valley actually. $80.00 is the sum that sticks in my mind, not much more certainly, maybe a little less. I can say that the saddle is comfortable, but I only used it a few times as it was in pretty rough shape. But that isn't why I bought it. I bought it for the stirrups that came with it and those are still my favorite pair. So much so that I often move them from saddle to saddle.
I think the KE is the best all weather stirrup ever devised, particularly so in mud snow and ice where they are unsurpassed. The knife edge cuts through to the sole of the boot even in the coldest weather and there is no platform for ice mud or snow to cake up on.. That is not to say that they are the best stirrup in every circumstance. I suppose that on a "closed track", as it were, the Fillis with inserts would be the better choice. That is the style that the pros use but they don't jump and travel across country in the snow, nor dismount to open gates or eat lunch. Nor am I suggesting that the KE is never slippery: with slick or leather soled boots on a wet and icy day they can be like watermelon seeds and it is best then to ride with the foot more home than theoretical equitation would dictate- or drop your stirrups all together which, incidentally, is the best way to keep your feet warm. What I do assert is that the KE is the best ALL AROUND stirrup and that is in keeping with their military origin.

Sandy
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

What is the overall quality of the leather on Japanese saddles?

The reason I ask is that I've been told that at least Japanese leather in general from the immediate post war period was of quite poor quality.
Todd
Society Member

Pat Holscher wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:51 am What is the overall quality of the leather on Japanese saddles?

The reason I ask is that I've been told that at least Japanese leather in general from the immediate post war period was of quite poor quality.
The stuff I've seen was pretty decent. I'd suppose that they had a pretty good resource supply from their mainland holdings in China which were lost to them postwar - just a blue sky thought tho.
selewis
Society Member
Last Name: Lewis

Pat;
I can only respond anecdotally and say that the seat leather and associated pockets employed in attaching same to the tree were and still are in good condition. Not so the billet straps however. The second (and last ) time I used the saddle they broke when I popped over a small ditch which resulted in what could have been a nasty mishap. The saddle slipped, as did I, and my mare bolted a quarter mile or so until the breast strap also gave and she was rid of the demon under her belly. No harm done to horse or rider but the saddle came out of it worse for the sudden wear. One of the stirrup bars was bent and I never bothered to have the saddle repaired. It wasn't a great specimen anyway as some previous owner had cut the spoon off. If nothing else it made me much more circumspect about old leather. "Nature runs a dear school, but a fool will learn by no other."

Sandy
Dick A.

Except for the swallow tail, this saddle is identical to a WWII Japanese saddle that I have in my collection.
I acquired it in 1960, from a WWII Vet that brought it back at the end of the war.
Dick A.

I neglected to mention that this saddle is one of the most comfortable riding saddles that I have ever used. For many years we would pack camping gear on this saddle and use it for our horse back camping trips. It could be easily taken apart for maintenance or cleaning. Never had a problem with this saddle and my Grandchildren still use it.

I might also add that many years back I acquired an identical saddle, complete with pommel pockets, saddle bags, double bridle, with extra curb chains, feed bag and a leather swallow tailed saddle cloth. All in like new condition. There are Japanese characters stamped on the bit and snaffle and the head stall has chrysanthemum rosette's.