U.S. Army Bugle Calls for the 1910-1920 period

A forum for general topics and questions.
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Is anyone aware of what the list of standard bugle calls was for the Punitive Expedition/World War One era? Had it remained unchanged since the Civil War?
Joseph Sullivan
Society Member
Last Name: Sullivan

No, but I'd say this is an authoritative playing of the important ones from 1897:
https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... ction=view
Couvi
Society Member

Retreat

You cannot imagine how many time I have repainted that gun because some overs-zealous sergeant used rifle bore cleaner instead of soap to clean the bore.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... ction=view
Joseph Sullivan
Society Member

I saw that one, too, and figured you had personal knowledge of that gun. Is it the same one that figured in the loony-toons story about the retiring officer's desire to fire real rounds at hay bales?
Joseph Sullivan
Society Member

If anybody else listened to the wax recording of TR's bugler, did you notice the differences in cadence and timing of the familiar calls? Part may be that he was a hot-shot bugler and could triple-tongue , but there were other distinct differences although the melodies seem to be the same.
Couvi
Society Member

Joseph Sullivan wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:26 am I saw that one, too, and figured you had personal knowledge of that gun. Is it the same one that figured in the loony-toons story about the retiring officer's desire to fire real rounds at hay bales?
No, that was the reproduction 6-PDR Gun, Model of 1841.

With this one, one evening the ever creative little heathens inhabiting the post placed a suitably depleted roll of toilet paper in the tube from the muzzle. The next morning when the gun was fired for Reveille, the tissue issued out of the muzzle in very small shreds creating a somewhat blackened snow-like appearance. I was called in about developing some solution for the problem, but my response of, ‘teach your kids to mind’ did not sit terribly well.
Couvi
Society Member

Joseph Sullivan wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:31 am If anybody else listened to the wax recording of TR's bugler, did you notice the differences in cadence and timing of the familiar calls? Part may be that he was a hot-shot bugler and could triple-tongue , but there were other distinct differences although the melodies seem to be the same.
Yes, I did. Some of the CMH recordings have a similar quality.