German Made Packsaddle

centaurfemale
Last Name: Seward

Hello. I recently acquired this very unusual (to me) packsaddle, and despite Google searching the maker's name, I cannot find info on it. One side has Schwartz Thun and then 40, the other side has Gotfried Wyss Messn Sattler, underneath, 44. Due to the rigid steel frame, I suspect it was built for transporting ammunition and firearms. Heavy bugger, too. I'm no lightweight, but I would be hard pressed to toss this on a 15hh horse without stabbing it with the frame. It has unfortunately been speckled with paint by a careless painter. The rigging has three billets each side with tongueless buckles.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by centaurfemale on Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Your images aren't uploading.
centaurfemale

Pat Holscher wrote:Your images aren't uploading.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I edited, hopefully this time it will work.
Candace
Couvi
Society Member

It looks new!
Todd
Society Member
Last Name: Holmes

Given the reference to 'Thun', and the apparent original green paint, I'm betting we're looking at a very well-maintained (or refurbished) Swiss pack saddle.
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

I'm not at all familiar with these, although I've seen the frames around from time to time. This is the first one I've seen with the leather padded pad.

I was going to merely note that I wouldn't assume that the frame indicates it was for arms and ammunition. Rather I think all Swiss military pack frames are heavy.

I'd be curious if there was more than one pattern of Swiss pack frame, or a universal one that was adapted for load by way of the addition of one thing or another.

I'd also note that the Swiss used pack animals at least as late as the 1980s, and they still might. John McPhee noted in his book La Place De La Concorde Suisse that Swiss military pack animals came into annual service with the farmers who owned them, in the 1980s. Switzerland has, of course, a large militia system. At that time, he reported a somewhat dour officer's opinion that pack horses would ultimately outlive more modern technologies and supplant them, in that officer's view.
centaurfemale

Pat Holscher wrote:I'm not at all familiar with these, although I've seen the frames around from time to time. This is the first one I've seen with the leather padded pad.

I was going to merely note that I wouldn't assume that the frame indicates it was for arms and ammunition. Rather I think all Swiss military pack frames are heavy.

I'd be curious if there was more than one pattern of Swiss pack frame, or a universal one that was adapted for load by way of the addition of one thing or another.

I'd also note that the Swiss used pack animals at least as late as the 1980s, and they still might. John McPhee noted in his book La Place De La Concorde Suisse that Swiss military pack animals came into annual service with the farmers who owned them, in the 1980s. Switzerland has, of course, a large militia system. At that time, he reported a somewhat dour officer's opinion that pack horses would ultimately outlive more modern technologies and supplant them, in that officer's view.
Wow. Excellent stuff, thank you so very much, Pat.
Candace
centaurfemale

Todd wrote:Given the reference to 'Thun', and the apparent original green paint, I'm betting we're looking at a very well-maintained (or refurbished) Swiss pack saddle.
Thank you, Todd!

Candace