US Military Stirrups

tmarsh
Society Member
Last Name: Marsh

Just received a catalog from Deutsche Optik. They have some reported original US stirrups listed for sale. They are chrome plated however and do have a stock number of 0641107-000-000. Again reported to go back 1944. They are not the knife edge type, Any one aware of this stirrup? Just looks like chrome a plated later commercial model.
Todd
Society Member
Last Name: Holmes

tmarsh wrote:Just received a catalog from Deutsche Optik. They have some reported original US stirrups listed for sale. They are chrome plated however and do have a stock number of 0641107-000-000. Again reported to go back 1944. They are not the knife edge type, Any one aware of this stirrup? Just looks like chrome a plated later commercial model.
http://deutscheoptik.com/U-S-Mil-Cavalr ... rrups.html

Smells pretty fishy to me... and certainly not for $39/pr. :thumbdown:
tmarsh
Society Member
Last Name: Marsh

I did receive a pair of these stirrups and sent them back. Nothing special or note worthy. Commercial stirrups? Todd with your research on the 1904, are you aware of huge production numbers of the 1912 stirrup? This may have been covered before. There seems to be a lot of them still around. Did production soar? Also is this a reason why there are not a lot of the later slanted stirrup around? Thanks
Fossilhorse
Last Name: Ramey

The 1912 stirrup became the standard for artillery drivers did it not? If so, that would explain the large production through WW1.
Todd
Society Member
Last Name: Holmes

As part of a larger project, I'm doing quite a bit of work comparing ordnance drawings, and the 1912 stirrup was adopted the first half of 1912 for artillery McClellans. (As an aside, since the 1912 cavalry equipment had officially displaced the McClellan, development and revisions of the 'M1904' pattern continued with the artillery saddles - such as the bronze stirrup hangers that began around the same time - early 1912).

The giant mass of the M1912 knife-edge stirrups were produced under contract during the war, where well over 200k artillery saddles were made (X2 for stirrups each). They are probably one of the most common stirrups on the planet!

The angled ones are 1930s Quartermaster design, and they would have been an option for officers saddles made at JQMD, hence their relative scarcity.

The truly rare ones are the 1910 officers stirrups, which are nearly identical to the 1912. The only really obvious difference is the top edge of the tread is centered, whereas the 1912 top edge is located on the outside ( the outer surface of tread is vertical, and the inner face is the only angled surface). I had a pair for years before I noticed slight overall dimensional differences, and the odd knife edge placement - they are that similar. All of these would have stamped markings for 'RIA', 'NS' and the year of 1910 or 1911. ('NS' for nickel steel)
M1910_officers_stirrups.jpg
M1910_officers_stirrups.jpg (57.72 KiB) Viewed 4280 times