Angles, Saxons Jutes, Geats, Swedes and the Horse?

Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

I've posted a couple of items here a moment ago concerning the horses of Germanic/Scandinavian tribes of the 0 to 400 AD time frame.

Roman observations on Swedish horses:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12203

(At this time the Swedes were only one of several tribes contesting for Sweden, with the trouble making Goths being another who would soon depart for their big end run that would place them crashing into the Roman Empire a couple of centuries later).

Horsa and Hengist, the Angle, Saxon or Jute brothers who went to southern Britain as mercenaries and then decided to start invading it, apparently. They were either named for horses, or perhaps nicknamed for horses:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12202

Regarding this, I've never associated any of these peoples with horses. I know that they had horses, but I mostly think of the Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Geats, Swedes, etc. as being a maritime people who used horses, but weren't particularly associated with them.

Am I in error? It's odd that parents would name kids "Horse", for example, but that might not mean that much. And on Roman observations, I don't think of the Romans as being particularly horsey.

Anyhow, curious items on these people of this early era when they first appear in history.