Horsemanship & Horsemastership Books

Reviews and commentary on books, films, etc.
Jim Bewley
Society Member
Last Name: Bewley

These are the training manuals given to the troops at the Cavalry School, Ft Riley, KS. The first two cover the same topics as the tapes, but in much more detail. They talk about "direct rein", "indirect rein", "bearing rein", "indirect rein of opposition at the weithers" and so on. They tell you what each is for and how to use them in connection with your leg aids in order to achieve a desired result. They talk about the military seat and everything else you might want to know about riding. If you read them you will see that most of the books on the market today are covering the same ground only useing differint terms. The third volume covers "Horse Shows, Race Meetings, Hunter Trials". It shows how to set up a jumping course with the proper spacing between jumps, how to build jumps and how to run a show or horse trial. They are only available in paperback now from the Cavalry Association at Ft Riley, to the best of my knowledge and sell for $14.50 each. I am lucky enough have access to the first two in hard back. They belonged to my wife's father. They are very good books and explain things in clear terms. The books work well with the tapes. You can see a segment and then read for more detail. New books on how to ride come out every year, however nothing has really changed. Proper riding is proper riding and these books explain it in clear terms.

Jim
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Bump.