Picket Lines and Standings

Philip S
Society Member
Last Name: Sauerlender

PICKET LINES AND STANDINGS

<b>Picket Lines </b> are used in stable corrals and to a large extent in the field. They are either elevated lines or ground lines, the former being much preferable. They are made of one and one half inch rope or small Wire cable. In emergencies a picket line of lariats can be used. They should be long enough to provide four feet of space for each animal. Picket lines must be kept drawn taut at all times. The elevated line is supported by heavy posts, about five and one half feet above the ground. This height is sufficient to hang hay nets from and to keep animals from eating their bedding, at the same time allowing them to lie down, and have access to their hay if laid on the ground. There is no chance for them to become tangled in it or to be rope burned.

A second line below the first, breast-high is excellent for keeping the animals all on one side, which is much the best plan whenever there is space and rope enough. It will prevent fighting across the line, the tangling up of animals, and permits laying the hay just across the line where it can be reached but will not be trampled upon.

<b>Ground Lines </b> are picket lines stretched on the ground and secured at intervals and at the ends by pins. It is the simplest form of line, but should never be used when it is possible to elevate the line. Animals are continually becoming tangled with it and their halter shanks, and many rope burns result. It is also far less secure, requiring much closer attention.

<b>The Standing </b> of picket lines require the same general features as stall floorings. Except in very dry or sandy soils it is not safe to use unimproved standings for more than a few days, and in poorly drained and muddy soils it is imperative that some sort of well drained dry surface be improvised without delay or the animals will suffer. Few conditions detract from the health and condition more quickly than standing in mud. It is always a cause for much debility and a large sick report. The lines should be placed on firm, sloping ground. If there is insufficient slope it must be constructed, preferably sloping from line to heels and drained by a ditch running parallel to the line and about ten or twelve feet from it. If necessary to use a considerable slope, the line should run up and down the slope instead of on a contour, around it. This gives a much better position for all the animals.

It is rarely practicable to have permanent standings as in stall floors, but some sort of macadam, clay and crushed rock or cinders, etc., must be constructed. In wet climates it should be well raised above the ground level, first using large rocks as a foundation and smaller ones as the surface is approached. When bound with clay and carefully built, this makes a very durable, suitable standing.

In the A. E. F. poor standings was one of the chief causes for loss of animal life.

(“Mounted Instruction for Field Artillery,” Major Christian, 1921, pp. 207-209)
tmarsh
Society Member
Last Name: Marsh

Phillip, Does it talk about what kind of tie was actually used when tying a horse to a picket line? Is it a clove hitch? Has anybody tied using a clove hitch? Tom
Philip S
Society Member
Last Name: Sauerlender

Tom:

I posted above a picture I found in a different section of the book showing how a horse is tied to the line using a clove hitch.
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Contemporary depiction of a WWI era British picket line.

http://www.firstworldwar.com/features/g ... etline.jpg

Pat
Pat Holscher
Society Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pat Holscher</i>
<br />Contemporary depiction of a WWI era British picket line.

http://www.firstworldwar.com/features/g ... etline.jpg

Pat
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

http://www.firstworldwar.com/features/forgottenarmy.htm

Pat
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Not a rope picket line, but Philip's photo reminded me of this. The 115th shoeing horses at Pole Mtn, in 1925. Courtesy of the Wyoming Militia Historical Society.

Pat

Pat
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Large number of picketed horses, VMI stables, 1922.

http://www.vmi.edu/archives/images/accnum/01410.jpg

Pat
John Ruf
Past Society Member
Past Society Member
Last Name: Ruf

Pat:

That British WWI cartoon is so appropriate: It captures the joy of horse watch on a large picket line perfectly.

In my experience it is worst when the horses are fresh, usually on the first night out. After a hard day in harness they tend to be pretty calm all night through.

Of course there is a hierarchy that must be followed when picketing the horses, which you deviate from at your peril. Our worst fighters end up at the opposite ends, etc.

Regards,

John Ruf
Culpeper, Virginia

"God forbid that I should go to any Heaven in which there are no horses."
Robert Bontine Cunninghame Graham 1852-1936
John Ruf
Past Society Member
Past Society Member

Philip:

Thanks for transcribing and posting the WWI US instructions; I was about to start scanning them, but you saved me the trouble.

I have scanned the British illustrations, which I will post in a seperate thread.

Regards,

John Ruf
Culpeper, Virginia

John Ruf
Past Society Member
Past Society Member

Tom:

We use the clove hitch exclusively, but we loop the bight-end back through towards the horse, to ease the release in an emergency.

It is easy to teach, prevents sliding along the line, and yet it is easy to release, even when wet, in the dark, with numb fingers, and after having been jerked on by 1200 pounds of spastic horse flesh. I have found no other knot that equals it for picketing.

For "escape artist" horses we pass the bight-end back through the loop, so if the horse works the excess loose it ends up knotting.

I could not agree more about having a sharp knife availabvle to the horse watch to cut loose the lead rope if necessary. If a horse is down and thrashing there is sometimes no other alternative.

Regards,

John Ruf
Culpeper, Virginia

volez

Great info- I sure appreciate it
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Bump.
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Bump.
Couvi
Society Member

Artillery picket lines were formed by passing the rope over the top of one loaded caisson and attached with a loop to its hub. The rope is then stretched to another loaded caisson on the other end. The far caisson was tipped sideways by several highly motivated individuals, the rope passed through its wheel and a loop attached to the hub, and then the caisson was lowered to tighten the rope.

From the 76TH FIELD ARTILLERY REGIMENT, 2ND BATTALION website

Cavalry troops had a picket line as a pack load.