Western Horseman: "In Defense of the McLellan"

Reviews and commentary on books, films, etc.
kris

How many of you read Western Horseman magazine? March 2003, in the webextras section, has an article entitled "in defense of the McLellan". I went to their website (www.westernhorseman.com) and found that the spelling was corrected, but the information was a mess. The saddle pictured both in the magazine and on the website is not any form of a McClellan saddle, but appears to be some form of the 1912 experimental saddle. I have seen several civilian versions of this saddle built on original trees, and on copies of the tree. Some were built by Hereford Saddlery. Years ago I saw saddles like this one marketed as "Trooper Saddles". How about some of you that are more knowledgeable taking a look. I've already sent a commentary to the editor and to their webmaster.
Todd
Society Member
Last Name: Holmes

http://www.westernhorseman.com/web_extr ... llan.shtml

"the often-misunderstood military saddle"

If she's calling that saddle in the photo a McClellan, I'd say there is some REAL misunderstanding going on here. That's a UP. How strange. [B)]
Paul Scholtz

MY SOUL!

The mag just showed up her at our house last night, and I havn't opened it yet, but that article is a pure dissappointment. Does anyone know anything about the author? If she is that "knowlegeable" (ms intentional), maybe we could trade her out of that saddle for another more authentic one??

I usually like the cartoons better than anything else in the magazine. I have two rejection slips from Pat Close I keep in my file....

At your(mounted)service,

Paul Scholtz
Joseph Sullivan
Society Member
Last Name: Sullivan

Yes, it is in deed a UP or trooper in the picture. As you all know as much as I do, I won't wast time detailing the errors in the text. Pretty sad, altogether.

Joe
Kelton Oliver
Past Society Member
Past Society Member

She probably did her research in the same library as the PETA people who think mares have testicles.
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

I just saw that article myself, and posted a similar item up in the general disussion before I noted this much better placed thread here in the reviews (where Kris properly placed it, I deleted my other thread).

I suppose some editor pulled that photo out of their file, but what a disappointment. I also dropped a brief letter to the editor noting it was a UP, although I didn't attempt to guess at the model, as I'm just not knowledgable enough to say anything about it. I hope they omit my letter and print Kris', which is no doubt much better informed.

Pat
PantherCanyon

You guys must have a lot of stroke!

I just went to the web site, the article is there, but there is no picture of a saddle accompanying it. (Maybe my computer won't show faulty data.

I'll have to go home and look at my wife's copy tonight to see the picture.

Byrd
Panther Canyon
kris

I posted a note to the Western Horseman's webmaster and got no response, so I added to my missive and sent a copy to Randy White (the editor). Got a nice reply and saw that the picture was dropped. The photo was not from their archives, but actually came from the author. I mentioned to the editor that it was interesting that no one caught the problem, as Randy Steffans was a regular contributor to the mag. I also commented on the fact that the problem was with rawhide and not thick leather on the seat. I guess I got my point across!
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kris</i>
<br />The photo was not from their archives, but actually came from the author.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Oh my!

Pat
Larry Emrick
Society Member
Last Name: Emrick

Pat: Can you post the Western Horseman photo, please. I can't seem to access it. Thanks, Larry
Todd
Society Member
Last Name: Holmes

They popped it off later on the 20th - unless someone saved it to their machine, it's gone.
Jim Ottevaere
Past Society Member
Past Society Member
Last Name: Ottevaere

Sort of like my grandchildren's "I Spy" books. How many errors can you find in the last four paragraphs?
kris

Larry, Yes the Western Horseman website dropped the picture, but left the mediocre article. The photo is still in the magazine, as they have not figured out how to drop that as yet. It appears in the March issue one page 6. I'd scan it to you, but we don't have one, yet. Perhaps your local library has one, or one of the guys with a scanner and mag can put it up for you.
Kris