RE: US M1918 Caisson for the "French 75mm"

A forum for general topics and questions.
Joseph Sullivan
Society Member
Last Name: Sullivan

Couvi:

per your comment that tightwads in the Congress led to guns being painted one color -- I though it was the rule to paint them green if they didn't move...

J
Ralph Lovett
Society Member
Last Name: Lovett

The great thing about forums like this is it prompts you to clarify your points and pull up documentation that may have been on the shelf for decades. That is the case with the US Army camouflage systems in the WW1 era. Couvi and I have had several post on this subject and it has made me want to go back and redo the research. The two basic systems of camouflage were the Three Color System for Field Artillery consisting of Green, Yellow, Cream, and Black as a shade; The Five Color System was for heavy railway mounts like railway guns and consisted of Green, Yellow, Cream, Mauve. and its compliment Brown plus Black as a shade. There were other interpretations such as from Charles Burchfield, a pioneer in the Cubist art movement in the USA, drafted into US Army service. I have put together all my references on the subject in this web page:

http://www.lovettartillery.com/US_Three ... rn_FA.html

I think this covers it but if there are more questions please post them.

R/

Ralph
Last edited by Ralph Lovett on Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joseph Sullivan
Society Member
Last Name: Sullivan

Ralph:

Looks interesting but the link doesn't work.
Ralph Lovett
Society Member
Last Name: Lovett

Joe--Thanks, I have reposted again and it looks like the link works this time.

The great thing about forums like this is it prompts you to clarify your points and pull up documentation that may have been on the shelf for decades. That is the case with the US Army camouflage systems in the WW1 era. Couvi and I have had several post on this subject and it has made me want to go back and redo the research. The two basic systems of camouflage were the Three Color System for Field Artillery consisting of Green, Yellow, Cream, and Black as a shade; The Five Color System was for heavy railway mounts like railway guns and consisted of Green, Yellow, Cream, Mauve. and its compliment Brown plus Black as a shade. There were other interpretations such as from Charles Burchfield, a pioneer in the Cubist art movement in the USA, drafted into US Army service. I have put together all my references on the subject in this web page:

http://www.lovettartillery.com/US_Three ... rn_FA.html

I think this covers it but if there are more questions please post them.

R/

Ralph