Saddle Bags

Couvi
Society Member

Saddle Bags

Can someone give enlighten me on these saddle bags?

Original Site: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... tures.html
Rick Throckmorton
Society Member
Last Name: Throckmorton

Couvi,
These are the russet M1904 Saddle Bags, probably post 1908 manufacture, when the seat was changed from a single piece to two halves sewn together with reinforcing pieces in the center to prevent the saddle bag stud hole from ripping out. I can't see the center area of the seat to know for sure, but the FBI would call that M1911 pistol a clue. The bags are obviously earlier than 1924, when the bags were altered by attaching an additional leather pocket on the lower front of the body of the bag and covered by the flap.

Is there something in particular you are asking for?
Rick T
Couvi
Society Member

Rick Throckmorton wrote:Couvi,
These are the russet M1904 Saddle Bags, probably post 1908 manufacture, when the seat was changed from a single piece to two halves sewn together with reinforcing pieces in the center to prevent the saddle bag stud hole from ripping out. I can't see the center area of the seat to know for sure, but the FBI would call that M1911 pistol a clue. The bags are obviously earlier than 1924, when the bags were altered by attaching an additional leather pocket on the lower front of the body of the bag and covered by the flap.

Is there something in particular you are asking for?
Rick T
No, they just looked odd. What are the two straps rolled up in the middle?
Brian P.
Last Name: Petruskie

I thought that it looked odd as well, probably because the center strap is obscured. I guess, as Rick said, that they are standard '04 bags. The two things rolled in the center appear to be surcingles. I'm guessing, with the presence of two feed bags and sets of spare shoes, that this represents the gear for one Artillery Driver caring for a pair of horses. I'll have to dig out the equipment list to see how this display compares.
Couvi
Society Member

Brian P. wrote:I thought that it looked odd as well, probably because the center strap is obscured. I guess, as Rick said, that they are standard '04 bags. The two things rolled in the center appear to be surcingles. I'm guessing, with the presence of two feed bags and sets of spare shoes, that this represents the gear for one Artillery Driver caring for a pair of horses. I'll have to dig out the equipment list to see how this display compares.
Good call on the artillery driver. :thumbup:
Rick Throckmorton
Society Member
Last Name: Throckmorton

On closer examination, I still don't necessarily see the seat of the bags, and think one can see grass where the seat should be. As for the two straps, could they possibly be cooling straps that would be used to hold the blanket on the back of a hot horse as he cooled down? The heavy ribbing of the fabric does look like the webbing of the period surcingles, though. Interesting pic. Surely those bags have a seat between them.
Rick T
Fossilhorse
Last Name: Ramey

It is interesting that this kit does not include the M1903 rifle or a cartridge belt that would accommodate any M1906 ball ammo. Did the artillery teams not carry long arms?