WWI British Cavalry Stirrups

Dave Carter
Last Name: Carter

Can anyone provide details or direct me to a reference for the types of stirrup irons used by the British cavalry in WWI?

Dave Carter.
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Do a search on our forum here. I'm sure there are quite a few examples posted.

Also this forum has a "UP" sub forum, for British Universal Pattern saddles. You may wish to add this topic on that subforum.
Dave Carter

I have tried a search but haven't come up with anything (possibly me just being dull and searching on the wrong words), but I have duplicated the request on the UP forum as you suggest.

Many thanks for the advice.
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Dave Carter wrote:I have tried a search but haven't come up with anything (possibly me just being dull and searching on the wrong words), but I have duplicated the request on the UP forum as you suggest.

Many thanks for the advice.
I just bumped up a couple of old thread on British stirrups that appeared in the UP subforum. There are likely more. One has a dead link, but the other has photos of stirrups on it. Take a look and see if that helps, and if not, let me know.
Dave Carter

Thanks Pat. After searching on exactly the same thing as I searched on last time, I found it. Funny how that happens!

Many thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Dave.
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Dave Carter wrote:Thanks Pat. After searching on exactly the same thing as I searched on last time, I found it. Funny how that happens!

Many thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Dave.
On some occasions, older threads can be hard to find with the search feature, as the forum's been through several upgrades, etc., since the item was posted. In those instances, doing your search for the item and "Society of the Military Horse" on Google will often turn them up.
lazyschnauzer
Last Name: Morton

Are these helpful? If I'm not mistaken I believe I saved these from the Military Horse web site.
UP saddle and equipment.jpg
UP saddle and equipment.jpg (100.38 KiB) Viewed 3761 times
UP saddle and wallets.jpg
UP saddle and wallets.jpg (99.81 KiB) Viewed 3761 times
All the best,
Dan
Dave Carter

Thanks Dan. Much appreciated. I have actually managed to pick up a 1915 dated stirrup off Ebay. Unfortunately only a single one, but at least it gives me a pattern so I can find a similar modern pair that will look the part on the dear old UP saddle.

Best regards,

Dave.