Armeesattels before the 25

Tom Muller
Society Member
Last Name: Muller

Pat,

thanks a lot for posting the photos!

Sam, looks like Armeesattel 25 to me and would fit the time frame.

I'll have to get the matching stirrups for the saddle, the ones with two slots for the lance cup (Lanzenschuh) as seen above. I'm looking foward to riding the saddle, after I got my saddler to fix the panel cover of linen, which isn't typical for the AS 89 as they usually had felt panels/numnahs.

The saddle has no size markings, but clearly visible makers markings:

E. GRUHN
BERLIN.O.17

Tom
Tom Muller
Society Member

Sam Cox wrote:Image
These are no US spurs. They look German, but I can't really tell, they might even be civilian, but if they used German tack, I guess they would have been using military spurs as well.

Tom
Sam Cox
Society Member
Last Name: Cox

Tom

agreed on the spurs,years back i got a lovely bunch of stuff from 16th Horse Platoon fella and in the group was a set of German issue spurs
Tom Muller
Society Member

Pat Holscher wrote:
Tom Muller wrote:The cut out on the helmet above the ear was retained in the WWI helmet for the Cavalry.

Tom
Why was that? Does it serve a function on the M16 helmet?
Pat,

I just read in "Riding into the Twilight" the new book on German Cavalry, that the cutouts on the M16 helmets Cavalry version had been introduced because soldiers had concussion problems with the standard M16 helmet. If this is true, why this new model wasn't adopted as a general service model, I don't know.

Tom
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Tom Muller wrote:Image

Very nice find Tom!
tmarsh
Society Member
Last Name: Marsh

Tom, Can you clarify the purpose of the 1 dee on the cantle on your 89? I know that some models of the 25 had 2 dees on the cantle and were used for carrying a MG or a art range finder. It is alttle rarer to find a 25 with the dees as they did not make as many. Tom
Tom Muller
Society Member

tmarsh wrote:Tom, Can you clarify the purpose of the 1 dee on the cantle on your 89? I know that some models of the 25 had 2 dees on the cantle and were used for carrying a MG or a art range finder. It is alttle rarer to find a 25 with the dees as they did not make as many. Tom
Pat,
yes a very nice find indeed!

Tom, the single Dee on the near side cantle is for attaching the sabre. Only field arty saddles had two Dees.

Cheers

Tom
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Tom Muller wrote:
tmarsh wrote:Tom, Can you clarify the purpose of the 1 dee on the cantle on your 89? I know that some models of the 25 had 2 dees on the cantle and were used for carrying a MG or a art range finder. It is alttle rarer to find a 25 with the dees as they did not make as many. Tom
Pat,
yes a very nice find indeed!

Tom, the single Dee on the near side cantle is for attaching the sabre. Only field arty saddles had two Dees.

Cheers

Tom
Even the manufacture date is remarkably clear.

Do you know by what good fortune this saddle managed to come down to us today in such fine shape?
Tom Muller
Society Member

Tom,

the near side Dee was also used to attach the LMG 13 adn various other equipment, but initially it was used to attach the sabre to it.

Pat,

I tried to contact the dealer to get some more information on the saddle, but so far I unsuccessful. The markings are protected by the seat cover, I guess that is why they can be seen clearly. I should get it back from the saddler sometime next week, first thing I'll do is to test it.

Tom
Barefoot
Last Name: Csikos

The saddle I posted from an auction site to the swiss tack topic seems to be german after all:
http://gyujtemeny.vatera.hu/militaria/f ... 92491.html
Any information on the type and use of it?
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Bump.