Cavalry in WWI

A forum for general topics and questions.
rayarthart
Last Name: Hartley

I know it has been mentioned before. What U.S. Cavalry Regiments that went overseas to Europe?
TL Foster
Society Member
Last Name: Foster

James A. Sawicki"s "Cavalry Regiments of the US Army" page 100. 2nd, 3rd, 6th, and 16th with only elements of the 2nd acting as cavalry.
Cheers
Tom
TL Foster
Society Member

A more detailed account of 2nd Cav's work in Europe can be found in Major Joseph I. Lambert's "One Hundred Years with the Second Cavalry", chapter Eleven.
Cheers
Tom
Brian P.
Last Name: Petruskie

The 6th Cav also operated in the field for a short time.
TL Foster
Society Member

This is true, but on arrival the 6th and the rest of the regiments, were farmed primarily tasked with remount details, military police duties, converted to infantry or hauling artillery. The 2nd was later reconstituted as a squadron sized unit and saw extensive combat till the end of the war.
Bielakowski, Alexander (20 July 2012). US Cavalryman 1891–1920. Bloomsbury Publishing. pp. 44–45
K Troop, detached from 3rd Squadron, 3rd Cav, served in I Corps during the Aisne-Marne Offensive (18 July - 6 August 1918), and in III Corps on the Vesle Front (7-17 August), the Oise-Aisne Offensive (18 August - 9 September), and the Meuse-Argonne Offensive (14 September - 11 November) as scouts.
Some one else can go into the why's and wherefores as that rates a book all by itself.
Cheers
Tom
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Often omitted in the story of American cavalry in World War One is that American "square" divisions in the war included organic cavalry on the French model. So there were actually a lot of cavalry formations, including some National Guard cavalry units that were used in this fashion, they were, however, small overall given that were used in that fashion. Troop size if I recall correctly.

At any rate, many American divisions had an organic cavalry reconnaissance troop. All were supposed to have one, and in fact they may have all had one.
Joseph Sullivan
Society Member
Last Name: Sullivan

Pat and all:

Except for the few engagements already mentioned, it has been my impression that those American elements that remained mounted were serving as messengers and forage hunters and other non-combat roles. ANZAC units are quite another matter. I do not know all of their history, but do have copies of the rare, mimeographed and bound war department summaries of ANZAC activity in the Palestine and the Levant. Here in the States we hear little about that, but it was, like most everything in that war, gruesome -- say, 18,000 casualties in ONE DAY in fighting for a smallish oasis city, for example. Only an extremely fanatical fighting force or an unflinching authoritarian regime (or both like the Iranian troops under Khomeni in the Iran Iraq war) could possibly sustain that over time. The public of no generally free nation would tolerate it.