The 30th Division in the Querrien Area, October 23 - November 19, 1918

A forum for general topics and questions.
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Couvi
Society Member

Some of the reviewing officers seem to be riding McClellans.

Some of the troops are carrying Lewis guns.

This presentation is in dire need of some of Philip’s projector magic.
selewis
Society Member
Last Name: Lewis

What is Philip's projector magic? Does this have to do with the frames per second? I've often wondered why this isn't compensated for. It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to correct, but perhaps it is. It's interesting that in modern movies that have sections that ape silent era films, especially comedies, the FPS is altered to produce that quick, jerky effect.
Sandy
Couvi
Society Member

That funny, stiff-legged walk in WWI films is due to the number of frames per second taken by the camera not being the same as the number of frames the projector is projecting. Philip Sauerlender has a projector that compensates of that and it makes a great deal of difference in the quality of the video.
selewis
Society Member
Last Name: Lewis

Thanks, Couvi. I didn't know that Philip had a projector that corrected for the change in FPS, so it's a pretty simple fix. It makes me wonder why all films aren't shown at the proper speed. Lately I've seen a lot of early silents on Turner Classic Movies and these are always shown at the correct speed. As you note, it makes quite a difference. Some images, like flames or rain, moving water, things that flicker and move fast, demonstrate the reason (I would guess) that the faster FPS was adopted but other than that it's hard to notice the difference between the old and the new standard.

Sandy