Interesting Unit markings on an M1908 Saddle Blanket

George Clark
Society Member

IMG_3221.JPG
IMG_3221.JPG (89.89 KiB) Viewed 2132 times
Stenciled in white paint over the same markings in black ink.
Rick Throckmorton
Society Member
Last Name: Throckmorton

OK, George. I'll bite. What's it translate to? I understand the Infantry crossed rifles and the "3" and "HQ". The rest, "A.F.G.", not so much.

I've got a horse cover that has an interesting marking it took a while for me to figure out. It was a crossed cannon for artillery and under it, "F A S". It took me a while, but it finally dawned on me that it stood for "FIELD ARTILLERY SCHOOL".

Interesting blanket. Thanks for posting.

Rick T
George Clark
Society Member

Rick,
I've had this blanket for quite a few years and have never been able to completely figure out the markings. At first I thought being marked to an infantry unit, that it belonged to an officer and the AFG may have been his initials, but the number 75 below the bomb would appear to be an EM's ID number. The AGF remains a mystery. I have a canvas saddle cover marked FAS with crossed cannons and the letters AT below the cannons.
Best, George.
IMG_3231.JPG
IMG_3231.JPG (72.23 KiB) Viewed 2110 times
Couvi
Society Member

I looked up “Army Forces Group,” “Army Forces Germany,” “Allied Forces Germany,” “Allied Forces Group,” but turned up nothing. :think:
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

According to an organization dedicated to, or associated with, West Point "AFG" meant American Forces in Germany from December 1918 to January 1923. But is that what it means here?