New Kavallerie book - Riding into the Twilight

Reviews and commentary on books, films, etc.
Reiter
Last Name: --

Did anybody already heard about "Riding into the Twilight" from Carsten Fries?

Here is one link for preview:
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 4#p1552184

Horrido!

Nicole
Last edited by Reiter on Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Muller
Society Member
Last Name: Muller

Well I just ordered the book. Bloody expensive, but I guess it's worth the high price.
Did anybody else buy it so far?
Tom
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Wow, at $100 it sure is pricey. I wonder what the explanation for the high price is?
Tom Muller
Society Member

I got the book yesterday, one day delivery, not bad. I think the book is worth every Cent! Well researched, for what I could see so far, excellent quality paper and binding, great photographs. Whoever is interested in German Cavalry from 1925 to 1945, this is a must have! As we will have great weather today, although it is much too warm, I'll have a brew and go through the book on my birthday (after I went for a nice ride at sunrise this morning).

Tom
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Tom Muller wrote:I got the book yesterday, one day delivery, not bad. I think the book is worth every Cent! Well researched, for what I could see so far, excellent quality paper and binding, great photographs. Whoever is interested in German Cavalry from 1925 to 1945, this is a must have! As we will have great weather today, although it is much too warm, I'll have a brew and go through the book on my birthday (after I went for a nice ride at sunrise this morning).

Tom
One day delivery? Wow, is the book printed in Europe.

Sounds pretty good. Report back to us when you go through it.
tmarsh
Society Member
Last Name: Marsh

I agree with you Tom, The book does provide addition info on the German Cavalry and does go into detail in certain areas. I appreciated the photos of the expiremental saddle that was worked on late in the war. I had heard of its existance but was glad to see photos of it. This saddle would be the last actual military design saddle. I may stand corrected. I also was able to email the author and he did provide additional info for me. Yes it was pricey but i talked my wife into getting it for my birthday. Did you recognize the french stirrups on the saddle in the book Tom? Regards Tom
Tom Muller
Society Member

Tom,

it was a birthday present from my wife as well. Good to have a woman like that! I did recognize the french stirrups allright. Looked funny, I was rather expecting Austro-hungarian stirrups. The photographs of the experimental saddle are great, I agree. There is also a lot of detail on boots, riding breeches etc. Great book. Tell me, what project are you working on at the moment? How about a miniature AS 25 for the grandchild? By the way, I went to see a logging contractor working for me now and then and he had a saddle on a wooden horse he put up in his garden for the kids. I couldn't believe my eyes when I looked closely and it was a AS 25 size 2. Unfortunately in very bad condition, otherwise I might have bought it. Asking his wife where they got the saddle from, she said "the old thing was lying in the barn for ages, some soldier traded it for some chow when he passed through here at the end of the war. Interesting story, but I had so many more questions she couldn't answer. Maybe I get to talk to the old folks next week.

Tom

Tom
Reiter
Last Name: --

Sounds good 8) I want buy the book, but still waiting if it will be published in german language too.