War Horse by Louis A. DiMarco

Reviews and commentary on books, films, etc.
selewis
Society Member
Last Name: Lewis

I think it was Monday that I received notice that my copy had been shipped and it's already at the post office. If I'd been down by the road when the postman came I'd be reading it now. That's a far cry from the last book I ordered, from Great Britain. The seller warned me that the cheap option I chose might take some time and he was right. After two months I began to wonder if packet steamers were still in service. Anyway looking forward to reading Lou's book.

Sandy
selewis
Society Member

Lou;
At the price I was expecting a softbound book. What a nice surprise, very handsome. I've only had a chance to give it a cursory skim but in doing so was reminded of this old article and thought it might interest you:

http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/2 ... .curve.htm

Sandy
dimarcol
Society Member
Last Name: Dimarco

Sandy,

Great article! I found numerous references to Lucas as I did my research and was very happy to get the picture I used in the book. I think one of the most fun, interesting, and surprising portions of the book was the chapter on the steppe warriors. I think the book supports the point that the horse archer is one of the most important, and neglected, military forces in history --much more important than the hoplite who popular history is facinated with.
Let me know what you think as you get deeper into it.
selewis
Society Member

Will do. So glad you liked it.
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Lou, any idea of what brick and mortar type outlets the book will be available in?
dimarcol
Society Member

Pat...and anyone else that is interested,

All of the major book chains are carrying the book: Borders, Barnes and Noble, Waldens, etc. That said, they don't distribute the book to every store. In my local area (Kansas CIty) only one of the 5 borders carries it --they have an online inventory you can check. My brother told me that 5 of 7 borders in his area are carrying it. So it varies widely. My local B&N ordered a box of the books after I asked about it, same with the waldens. Its easy for them to order it because it is in stock in the company central warehouse.
Tom Muller
Society Member
Last Name: Muller

Lou,

I received your book yesterday the weather report says heaps of rain, so guess what I'll do...

Tom
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Lou, is another book in the works?
dimarcol
Society Member

For now I'm focused on academics... and building an arena on the property. Still, eventually my academics will become a book length project on U.S. Army occupation operations begining after the Civil War through post WWII Germany and Japan. My thesis is that, unlike recent Army leadership, the WWII generation of leaders understood how important it was to plan for occupation after victory because that tradition was passed down to them from the frontier army of the 19th century. It should be done some time this winter at the latest.
warrenmatha1
Last Name: matha

War Horse
A History of the Military Horse and Rider
Louis A. DiMarco

For those interested in horsemanship, this book ranks with Vladimir Littauer’s The Development of Modern Riding. For those interested in military history, this book ranks with the works of John Keegan. The book offers so much about horses and military riding that one cannot capture one tenth of it in a review. Lt. Col. Louis A. DiMarco reveals new insights and debunks old myths as he explains the evolution of military riding. He discusses how cavalry tactics and strategies evolved; the impact of culture, geography and terrain on horsemanship; the cavalry’s tactical and strategic value to skillful generals such as Alexander, Saladin, Subotai, Napoleon, Lee and Allenby; the reasons for the sudden disappearance of large horse cavalry formations in war…and his reasoning may surprise many readers.

He recounts the history of what he calls war’s “oldest weapons system” ….the man and horse. He explains the transition from the chariot to horseback, from armored knights to light cavalry, from the American Army’s total abandonment of horses to a rushed and limited redeployment of horse and man in 2001. He describes the tactics and strategy of the Mongol cavalry leader Subotai during a 5500 mile campaign on horseback… the longest mounted reconnaissance in history. He describes the “visionary leadership of Frederick and Seydlitz” at Rossbach. For me, it brought to mind Churchill’s descriptions in his biography of Marlborough wherein Prince Eugene says to John Churchill: “He, who has not seen this, has seen nothing.”

The author fills the book with fascinating “factoids”. Do you wish to know the weight of a knight’s armor? You will find it here. Do you wish to learn about how the Appaloosa horse developed? You will find it here. Interested in the impact of the American War Between the States on cavalry formations and fighting tactics that Europe’s generals missed? You will find it here.

Over the years, I have read a great deal of military history: much of it written by historians, journalists as well as by field commanders. This book combines the knowledge of a soldier, the insights of a horseman and the research of the historian. Well written, the book will interest anyone seriously interested in horses, military history or both.

Warren Matha
Pat Holscher
Society Member

dimarcol wrote:For now I'm focused on academics... and building an arena on the property. Still, eventually my academics will become a book length project on U.S. Army occupation operations begining after the Civil War through post WWII Germany and Japan. My thesis is that, unlike recent Army leadership, the WWII generation of leaders understood how important it was to plan for occupation after victory because that tradition was passed down to them from the frontier army of the 19th century. It should be done some time this winter at the latest.

Sounds very interesting indeed!
Pat Holscher
Society Member

To my surprise, my son brought a book home from the school book sale entitled "War Horse". This War Horse is a young adults novel by Michael Morpurgo, and is about a WWI artillery horse, written from the horse's point of view.

So, for those ordering Lou's book, make sure you check the author when purchasing!
dimarcol
Society Member

It actually gets fantastic reviews and I believe is the subject of a critically aclaimed play in London. I plan on getting a copy... but I'd liketo hear your review prior to purchase.
Pat Holscher
Society Member

dimarcol wrote:It actually gets fantastic reviews and I believe is the subject of a critically acclaimed play in London. I plan on getting a copy... but I'd like to hear your review prior to purchase.

I'm going to read it shortly, and will toss in my review. Heck, I may have my son give his and I'll append mine, giving the target audiences' view and the adult one.
warrenmatha1
Last Name: matha

War Horse
A History of the Military Horse and Rider
Louis A. DiMarco, Lt. Col. USA (Ret.)

Westholme Publishing LLC
Eight Harvey Avenue
Yardley, Pennsylvania 19067
www.westholmepublishing.com

For those interested in horsemanship, this book ranks with Vladimir Littauer’s The Development of Modern Riding. For those interested in military history, this book ranks with the works of John Keegan. The book offers so much about horses and military riding that one cannot capture one tenth of it in a review. Lt. Col. Louis A. DiMarco reveals new insights and debunks old myths as he explains the evolution of military riding. He discusses how cavalry tactics and strategies evolved; the impact of culture, geography and terrain on horsemanship; the cavalry’s tactical and strategic value to skillful generals such as Alexander, Saladin, Subotai, Napoleon, Lee and Allenby; the reasons for the sudden disappearance of large horse cavalry formations in war…and his reasoning may surprise many readers.

He recounts the history of what he calls war’s “oldest weapons system” ….the man and horse. He explains the transition from the chariot to horseback, from armored knights to light cavalry, from the American Army’s total abandonment of horses to a rushed and limited redeployment of horse and man in 2001. He describes the tactics and strategy of the Mongol cavalry leader Subotai during a 5500 mile campaign on horseback… the longest mounted reconnaissance in history. He describes the “visionary leadership of Frederick and Seydlitz” at Rossbach. For me, it brought to mind Churchill’s descriptions in his biography of Marlborough wherein Prince Eugene says to John Churchill: “He, who has not seen this, has seen nothing.”

The author fills the book with fascinating “factoids”. Do you wish to know the weight of a knight’s armor? You will find it here. Do you wish to learn about how the Appaloosa horse developed? You will find it here. Interested in the impact of the American War Between the States on cavalry formations and fighting tactics that Europe’s generals missed? You will find it here. What US Cavalry mount achieved an Olympic record held by only two other horses in Olympic history? Read the book and find out.

Over the years, I have read a great deal of military history: much of it written by historians, journalists as well as by field commanders. This book combines the knowledge of a soldier, the insights of a horseman and the research of the historian. Well written, the book will interest anyone seriously interested in horses, military history or both.

Warren Matha
Dave J.
Last Name: Jacobs

Any chance of making it available through the Military Book Club? :D
dimarcol
Society Member

That would be great if it happened. I think the way that works, however, is the military book club decides what books it wants to carry and then makes a deal with the publisher. If you're a member and want to see the book offered you could send a note to the club editor.
selewis
Society Member

I've been thoroughly enjoying your book Lou, using it in conjunction with some side reading , maps, and some memorization. It's tempting to rush right through because it flows along so nicely but I hope to retain some of it and so have been taking my time and putting in a little effort. One thing that occurred to me yesterday, a question or speculation really, long after reading the first chapter:

on page three: " Traces joined the inner two animals; the outer two animals set a pace rather than pulling the load."

Might these outer animals have served as a sort of shield, running interference for the two inner horses? They would also provide more stomping power and cut a wider path when riding over the enemy. (?) It struck me as odd that their purpose would be solely as pace setters hence the lingering curiosity concerning them.

Sandy
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Lou, on a slightly different topic, I see that your "Loosing the Moral Compass" about the Algerian War is receiving a lot of favorable commentary. I see it cited in a lot of different places. I know I enjoyed it very much when I read it.

It must be an odd thing to be cited so favorably on topics which, at first blush, vary so much!
Dave J.
Last Name: Jacobs

dimarcol wrote:That would be great if it happened. I think the way that works, however, is the military book club decides what books it wants to carry and then makes a deal with the publisher. If you're a member and want to see the book offered you could send a note to the club editor.
Done!
Last edited by Dave J. on Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.