US Cavalry Cartoons

Reviews and commentary on books, films, etc.
Camp Little
Past Society Member
Past Society Member
Last Name: Wiley

I just picked up a paperback book published in 2004 titled "US Cavalry Cartoons" by J.R. Williams. You may remember Williams as the cartoonist who did the old "Out Our Way" cartoon that ran from 1922 to 1957. Anyway, Williams was born in 1888 and spent 3 years in the Cavalry around the 1900's. He drew upon this experience in his cartooning career. Other books of his cartoons reprinted by Algrove Publishing include "Classic Cowboy Cartoons" and "The Bull of the Woods".

A lot of the subject matter and humor of the cartoons is best understood if you already have some perspective about cavalry life or the military. In that context, I enjoyed the gags and the artwork is first rate. All in all I'd consider it a very good book for the cavalry and horse buff.

This book is available along with many other mechanical arts titles from Algrove Publishing of Ontario, Canada. The series is titled "Classic Reprint Series" and I'd definitely check out the whole series as there are many old and practical titles about carpentry, mechanics, blacksmithing, etc. that are now becoming lost arts.

E-mail them at sales@algrove.com

(613) 256-0350 (tel)
(613) 256-0360 (fax)

Steve
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Wow, thanks. I love J. R. William's cartoons and will definately see if I can pick this up.

Pat
Pat Holscher
Society Member

I emailed the publisher and they referred me to a Lee Valley Tools company (odd but true). Here's the company's listing for this item.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx ... 6096,46100

Thanks again Steve, I'm going to order one.

Pat
Camp Little
Past Society Member
Past Society Member
Last Name: Wiley

I picked mine up at the Museum of the Horse Soldier in Tucson, so I wasn't sure of the actual means of ordering one other than what I got out of the book itself. Glad you found a source, enjoy,

Steve
throwback

i got it the other day. both funny and a real perspective on life of a trooper.

i liked the cartoon of the inspecting officer noting the two well fitted out troopers on badly turned out mounts and the poorly turned out trooper on the sharp looking horse. the everlasting quandry that a trooper can't win. (actually it goes double for an artillery driver)
Pat Holscher
Society Member

I bought this and it is excellent. It really gives a unique view of the Army before WWII.

Really, for cavalry fans, and certainly of fans of the US Cavalry, it is a must.

Pat
throwback

i also loved the one of the young trooper looking at the severed ends of his reins in one hand and his sabre in the other-- and all the horses have their ears down-- mounted sabre drill!