All Quiet on the Western Front

Reviews and commentary on books, films, etc.
browerpatch
Society Member
Last Name: Brower

I watched the new interpretation of "All Quiet on the Western Front" (dubbed into English). To my uneducated eye, uniforms and equipment seemed good, and it seemed realistic. But, if I had seen this without knowing the title, I'm not sure I would have associated it with the book. This version seemed episodic, with very little narrative to provide context or continuity.

Not long ago, I watched the 1979 version, with Richard Thomas and Ernest Borgnine, and I plan to get the 1930 version from the library soon. It's been about 5 years since I last read the book, so I may do that again in the near future.

Regarding the new version, I don't think I'd cross the road to watch it again.
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

I watched it as well, and in my view, while it was technically very well done, I'd regard this more as a "based on" version, than a film adaptation of the novel. It departs from the novel quite a bit.

Indeed, while I didn't think it was bad, what I'd note that this is the first German film variant, and it seems to have an atmosphere that is dominated by the knowledge that World War Two is going to happen just 20 years later. The novel and the two film versions have an anti-war theme, as this does as well, but you can't help but watch this version and get a "and we're going to screw up and do this all again" feel to it. Indeed, it's a lot more focused on the Germans, oddly enough, than earlier versions. At least in the earlier versions, the German soldiers had some interactions with the French that showed everyone's common humanity. In this one, that's absent for the most part.
browerpatch
Society Member
Last Name: Brower

Pat,
I agree with your assessment of "based on" rather than an adaptation. Also, I couldn't help but think of Eric Bogle's song "The Green Fields of France", which I have read was translated and used as an anti-war song in Germany in the'80's. I wonder if the film makers were familiar with it.

"...Now young Willie McBride I can't help wonder why
Do those who lie here know why did they die
Did they believe when they answered the call
Did they really believe that this war would end wars
Well the sorrow, the suffering, the glory, the pain
The killing and the dying were all done in vain
For young Willie McBride it all happened again,
And again and again and again and again..."