Sauerlender collection at Haley Library

A forum for general topics and questions.
Joseph Sullivan
Society Member
Last Name: Sullivan

I was just at the Haley Library's annual budget meeting (I am one of the 5 trustees there). Much favorable comment was made of Philip Sauerlender's wonderful gift of a year and a half ago of Cavalry books, artifacts and archival materials including very rare original Ft. Riley training films. We have all seen some of these films in video form, but when projected they are remarkably clearer. There is a substantial bookcase for the more easily showcased items such as books and interesting artifacts. It is clearly labeled as the Sauerlender Collection.

Philip made an important contribution to the Library's Cavalry collection, and that with the pre-existing items make an excellent basis for my goal which is to make the Haley a center for serious research on the US Cavalry. My own collections of Cavalry books and archival material are not as comprehensive or focused -- or by any means as important --as what Philip gave. however, in many respects our materials are complementary. At some point in the near future I am going to go back over all of the Haley's cavalry-related materials and see how items from my collection can either fill in or expand the collection.

I also hope to move us towards serious Cavalry seminars with scholars who receive stipends, the results of which will be publishable. At the Haley we are well aware that many of the current generation of historiographers are simply radical progressives looking for some handle to deconstruct the American myth. Having said that, we ourselves are focused on understanding the reality of our history in the West, including the hard parts. Honest history is not hagiography (unless we are studying real saints who are in short supply in any age). It is not boosterism either. So, as we move forward with our VERY solvent and stable institution, we hope to locate and support the faithful remnant of scholars who attempt to grasp and convey reality without political bias.

In that connection, a good friend of mine is a meticulous scholar with politics that are mostly contrary to my own (no need to go further). He is a biographer and a historian. His work is careful and balanced. Although some of his subjects are politically charged, my friend very deftly and successfully manages to convey the reality of the subject's character without either whitewash or condemnation (he does not write on Cavalry items so I will not list his works). I always look forward to any new publication by him because I know it will be meticulously researched, highly readable, and fair and balanced. He in turn has said that he needs and appreciates my views of his books BECAUSE we view the world differently and he wants to know from an honest reviewer that he is not letting politics influence scholarship. His approach and his skill are something that we badly need in America today.

Anyway, Philip boosted an excellent institution further towards being an important center for Cavalry studies. That has not been forgotten by the director or the trustees. In fact, they brought it up with no prompting by me. We were discussing our expansion plans (about to more than double our physical plant because of serious space constraints). Our director noted some collections that he had NOT accepted recently, or had worked with estates or donors to hold off on receipt. However, Pat said that some collections, specifically the Sauerlender Collection, fit so well and are of such high quality that we will FIND a way to accept and store/dlsplay them regardless of space constraints. The other trustees agreed without reservation. I was happy to hear that.

So, Philip, for both the Haley Library and for all students of the US Cavalry -- THANK YOU
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Congrats to the Haley and to Philip for his generosity!
Couvi
Society Member

:thumbup: :clap: