Leather-Covered Saddle Trees

A forum for general topics and questions.
Couvi
Society Member

Summary of the Proceedings of a Board of Officers Convened at the Ordnance Office, War Department, on the 31st of March, 1870, in Compliance With Special Orders. No. 61, Dated Headquarters of the Army, A.G.O., March 16, 1870, for the Purpose of Considering and Reporting Upon Such Matters Connected with the Ordnance and Ordnance Stores as Might be referred to it by the Secretary of War and the Chief of Ordnance, Washington, GPO, 1879 (Page 377)

(Page 351, Paragraph) 17.— LEATHER-COVERED SADDLE-TREES.

"The Board, having examined the letters from officers in the field relative to covering the saddle-tree with leather, does not find in them sufficient information to justify a recommendation of any change ; but the Board suggests that 100 saddles, so prepared, be issued to each regiment of cavalry, to further determine the merits of the proposed change. It is also thought that the covering of the pommel and cantle should be reinforced by means of an additional thickness of leather, or by pulling a piece of rubber over their edges under leather covering, or by a welted seam as shown in the covered saddle before the Board."

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id= ... up&seq=351

Numerous entries within other areas of the report on saddle bags, girths, etc., starting at page 392.
Kurt Hughes
Society Member

Hi Couvi

Thanks for the post it made interesting reading as did the link you provided.

I was curious about the Cline Luggage Support, 100 of which were trialed by the 2nd cavalry, I was fortunate to find a google link to the Patent should anyone be interested. I doubt an example will ever show up for sale but one never knows.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US79953

Thanks again.
Kurt.
Couvi
Society Member

Hmm! I have never seen that before. :shock: