Stuff at the office

Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

I became curious how many of us may have something pertaining to our mutual interest that's hanging our our office, if we have offices. I noticed that I do, those things being:

1. A framed copy of the "Help the Horse" poster from World War One.
2. A set of small Knights Templar figures (which started off as just a mounted knight, but which my kids have added to over time).
3. A 105 mm tank shell (shell only, of course).
4. An old .50 BMG shell that was an exemplar in a case.
5. A framed copy of Edgar S. Paxon's Custer's Last Stand, which I use for prospective on bad days.
6. One spur with a broken strap.
7. A small photo of a relative who was in the RCMP.
8. A framed print of a modern cowboy in a high mountain pasture.
9. A framed photo of my basic training platoon.

How about you folks.
selewis
Society Member
Last Name: Lewis

My truck is sort of my office. On the dash I have an articulating "clay" model (as in claymation) of Pokey: not Gumby just Pokey. He reminds me that I once rode horses regularly, and also serves as a sort of seismographic indicator of the roads I drive, or my driving, by falling over when things get rough. I always right him though and he stays in his pasture most of the time. If this seems a bit womanish of me I guess it is, he was a gift from a secretary at one of the mills I used to sub from and he's been riding the range in my Ford V-8 ever since.

In the back seat I have fringeless, top grain, shotgun chaps and paddock boots (Be Prepared) buried under my tools. Under the console a few books on horses come and go. At present there is a book by Temple Grandin, and "My Life as a Sportsman" by Nimrod- I read it years ago but had forgotten most of it.

I also have a hoof rasp in my truck but it's not related to horses. It makes a great tool for cleaning up gypsum wall board that stands proud of the door trimmers prior to setting jambs- dry wallers being evil, selfish, and sloppy sons of the devil.
mnhorse
Last Name: Resseman

Since I'm retired, I really don't need an office, but, I need a place for the computer "stuff".
My wife wanted to trade houses in 2011. I agreed as long as got the lower level to use as a shop and more importantly, a place to display my US Cavalry, American Civil War and horse related collections. One corner of the "museum" is the OFFICE.
Here is what I see:
The wall in front of me has
- a framed lobby card poster for the movie SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON
- a plaque presented "in appreciation" for my work with the Boy Scouts
- a Knights of Columbus membership certificate in a frame
- a trophy plaque from the Minnesota Weapon Collectors Association Annual Trophy for best edge weapon display
- a picture of the reenactment group the "James Younger Gang" of which I was a member. we reenacted the 1876 Northfield Raid in 1976
- a souvenir plate from the 1978 Black Hills Trail Ride
- a photo me and my first registered Quarter Horse (a chestnut mare named Beauty Talks)
- a photo of my son and grand-daughter taken at a zoo on Oahu.
- a MARLIN .32 cal. 1873 revolver
- a H&R .22 cal. revolver
And all of these things have very fond memories attached.
Richard
Todd
Society Member
Last Name: Holmes

I'm CLEARLY falling behind in my knicknacks....

A section of copper cable from Hoover Dam
A rotund yellow armadillo figurine from the Yucatan
A pink plastic baby from a King cake.

I'm not exactly sure what the heck that says about me though.... :wtf:
Jim Bewley
Society Member
Last Name: Bewley

A picture of Marse Robert hanging above my computer and many pictures of ACW cavalry and fox hunting. There are also, saddles, bridles and assorted other tack all over the floor. :D
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Todd wrote:I'm CLEARLY falling behind in my knicknacks....

What about that birthday gift portrait? :o
Todd
Society Member

Pat Holscher wrote:
Todd wrote:I'm CLEARLY falling behind in my knicknacks....

What about that birthday gift portrait? :o
Oh, there's a special place for that one...

Photo proof...
desktoys.jpg
desktoys.jpg (33.87 KiB) Viewed 5416 times
Dick A.

After reading what some of the guys have in their office, I sat down and looked around mine.
Stuff hanging in my shop, which is my office.
Many books and manuals on firearms, military subjects and history.
Picture of a cavalry horse, Emily, under saddle, circa 1930, Ft. Riley, KS.
1885 Saddle boot.
1942 M1 rifle scabbard.
One M1904 Mac with bags and bridle.
One M1928 Mac with bags and bridle.
One 1936 Phillips with Pommel bags.
One German Cavalry saddle hanging on its rack.
One WWII Japanese cavalry saddle, complete with all bags, saddle pad and bridle.
Two western saddles with blankets, ropes, bags and bridles.
One pair boots with spurs.
One campaign hat with crossed sabers.
One Pith helmet with USMC emblem.
One .45 colt revolver.
One . 45 colt M1911 w/Military shoulder holster.
One 73 .44 Winchester carbine in scabbard.
One USMC Promotion certificate, dtd. 1958
One US Army promotion certificate, dtd 1964.
One OCS Graduation certificate Ft. Benning, GA, dtd 1965.
One US Army promotion certificate, dtd 1980.
One US Army Certificate of retirement, dtd 1992.
Various certificates and awards from the Scouts.
Various helmets and hats from my military service.
Autographed photo of James Drury "The Virginian."
Autographed photo of John Bianchi.
And my wife says I never throw anything away.
Joseph Sullivan
Society Member
Last Name: Sullivan

Four cavalry bugles from different eras
Sterling silver trophy cup from cavalry horse competition in the 20s
Sterling silver shot glass presented to a judge of a cavalry horse show
Three cavalry souvenir spoons, 2 sterling, one electroplate, from Ft. Riley and "border service."
Very nice trench art vase made from a large shell casing in WW1, to "mother" from an unidentified major general
Archival scrap book full of cavalry ephemera
Framed screend-fabric insignia of the Riding House Dept., Royal Horse Artillery
Drawer crammed full of bits, brushes, spurs etc.

Joe
Couvi
Society Member

While I cannot top Todd’s pink plastic baby, this is what is hanging on the wall in my office:

An image of my family crest, not the one that says, ‘These horses aren’t stolen.’

A picture my granddaughter sent me of herself when she was about ten, stating that she was “More precious than diemands.”

A carving of a Texas Hope saddle on leather that I did for an elderly friend. His wife gave it back to me after he died.

A lonely cabin scene done in watercolor by aforementioned granddaughter

A photograph of my 6-PDR Gun crew in American Civil War attire firing live on the range at Fort Sill

A cross stitch my wife created of an old cowboy

Certificate of my entry into the 1st Degree of the Knights of Columbus

A pen and ink of a young cowboy

A framed 1885 helmet plate with two ACW Cavalry crossed saber insignia

An image of ‘Rounded Up’ by Fred Remington

An image of ‘Self-Portrait on a Horse’ by the aforementioned Mr. Remington

‘Butchering Day’ painting in oil by an unknown Louisiana artist

A rubber chicken
Todd
Society Member

Couvi wrote:While I cannot top Todd’s pink plastic baby
I know, right?! :thumbup:
Joseph Sullivan
Society Member
Last Name: Sullivan

I thought we were only supposed to list cavalry-related stuff, not pink babies and such. I have a lot of stuff in here - -antique surveyor's transit, Confederate "Stonewall Jackson" bond, books, art, photos, a cabinet of Chippewa beadwork, but the dominant thing -- and the largest I have seen -- is a buffalo skull complete with horn caps. My very young granddaughters slip n just to stare.
selewis
Society Member
Last Name: Lewis

Joseph Sullivan wrote:I thought we were only supposed to list cavalry-related stuff, not pink babies and such. I have a lot of stuff in here - -antique surveyor's transit, Confederate "Stonewall Jackson" bond, books, art, photos, a cabinet of Chippewa beadwork, but the dominant thing -- and the largest I have seen -- is a buffalo skull complete with horn caps. My very young granddaughters slip n just to stare.
Thanks, Joe. No telling where this would end up without a monitor.
Couvi
Society Member

Joseph Sullivan wrote:I thought we were only supposed to list cavalry-related stuff, not pink babies and such. I have a lot of stuff in here - -antique surveyor's transit, Confederate "Stonewall Jackson" bond, books, art, photos, a cabinet of Chippewa beadwork, but the dominant thing -- and the largest I have seen -- is a buffalo skull complete with horn caps. My very young granddaughters slip n just to stare.
Grandpa is adding a bit of mystery to thier lives?
Rob Thomas
Past Society Member
Past Society Member
Last Name: Thomas

I have two roles at my school - History Teacher and School Marshall (I am responsible for the "tone" of the school) and on my office wall I have a number of items that reflect things I have done.
1. A photograph from the Anzac Day Parade (25 April) 2001 when I organised the Regimental Guidons to be on parade on horseback for the first time in 50 years
2. A photograph of myself and 2 friends just before we went on parade as part of the guard for HRH Queen Elizabeth II in 2002
3. A photograph of myself as part of the pit crew for a touring car racing team in 1984 - (Australia's version of Trans Am sedan racing)
4. A photograph of my wife and I on the road to Tioga Pass from Lee Vining in 2009
5. A Photograph of my wife and I on the shore of Colter Bay WY in 2011
6. A Photograph of myself and my wife at my graduation for my BA (Honours) in 2003
7. A diecast scale model of my second car - a white Alfa Romeo GTV 1750 - complete with personalised numberplates

The are all reminders of things in my life and they help my students who come into the office know who and what I am.... :thumbup: