The Everyday Tasks of Cavalry Life

Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Pat Holscher wrote:5th Cavalry, 1916.

http://memory.loc.gov/ndlpcoop/ichicdn/ ... 65063a.jpg

Pat
JV Puleo wrote:When I find it I'll post a very similar picture I have. . . only its my father doing the shaving. In the 30's he was a barber as well as playing in the NG band. He always looked forward to summer camp because he hot only got paid for going, but all he had to do was play the horn. In between practice sessions he cut hair and shaved the guys - for something like 25 cents a shot. According to him it was like printing money . . . could make $50 in two weeks without really working!
JV Puleo
Another example:

Pat Holscher
Society Member

Pat Holscher wrote:
Pat Holscher wrote:5th Cavalry, 1916.

http://memory.loc.gov/ndlpcoop/ichicdn/ ... 65063a.jpg

Pat
JV Puleo wrote:When I find it I'll post a very similar picture I have. . . only its my father doing the shaving. In the 30's he was a barber as well as playing in the NG band. He always looked forward to summer camp because he hot only got paid for going, but all he had to do was play the horn. In between practice sessions he cut hair and shaved the guys - for something like 25 cents a shot. According to him it was like printing money . . . could make $50 in two weeks without really working!
JV Puleo
Another example:

In both of these shaving photos, note that horses are in the background. In the first one, that's obvious, but they're also there in the second, way in the background.
Pat Holscher
Society Member

In Mexico during the Punitive Expedition.

Dpuckey
Last Name: Puckey

Agree, it looks far too tight to actually shoe in so must be posed, if that horse moved you'd end up in the fire! Looks more like the shoeing area would be in fornt of the working area where there are no boards. Must be posed as no-one would wear their best boots to shoe, as they would not be best for long!

Must be a cold place, both a stove and a forge in close proximity.
Rick Throckmorton
Society Member
Last Name: Throckmorton

Ft. Riley has blacksmith/farrier's shop that is still standing just down the hill from the stables. It actually looks quite a bit like the one in the photo. If it is the same one, the polished boots and officers in farrier's aprons could be explained as officers learning the farrier craft as part of the Cavalry School. In any event, I don't think it unlikely to find officers being involved in a farrier's shop, given the amount of training received at the Cavalry School on the very subject. Most were capable of shoeing a horse. That being said, I do think the photo is posed. I am sure the guys working in the shops at Ft. Riley, Ft. Oglethorpe, Ft. Myer, Ft. Ethan Allen, etc., were pretty pleased to have those pot bellied stoves in February!
Rick T.
Pat Holscher
Society Member

dallas wrote:Another thing that is strange is that at least the 3 men whose legs can be seen are wearing officer's boots and spurs.
David Puckey wrote: Must be posed as no-one would wear their best boots to shoe, as they would not be best for long!

Must be a cold place, both a stove and a forge in close proximity.
On the observation on the boots, those are good observations and you both have sharp eyes!

For those not too familiar with what is being observed there, it's clear the men must be officers as they are wearing officers' boots. And they're wearing the official boot, not one of the many private patterns of field boots that show up in this period. That's further evidence, perhaps, that they were participants in a school, or were really turned out for the photo. Enlisted men in this period would have worn service shoes.

As to their being highly polished, however, and even as to their wearing spurs, we might not want to take too much from that. We'd expect school attendees, officer or enlisted, to start off the day with polished boots, and even if they get pretty scuffed up during the day, it's not too hard to get them buffed back up at night. Spurs in this era were such a part of the uniform that they show up in surprising examples even when there was no chance of riding, so that's not too surprising either.

I think this photo is clearly posed. But what it is intended to illustrate is really interesting. These men are all officers, and they're well turned out. They haven't done much shoeing that day. The location does look very much like the period buildings at Ft. Riley in the same period (there's a high likelihood that this one was taken at Ft. Meyer). School photo? Refresher course? Some odd gag?

On the stoves, one thing I thought I'd note, given the fellow in the mackinaw to the left, is that in really cold weather, some older type iron stoves radiate blazing hot heat if you're near them, then a few feet a way, in the same building, it's arctic. Weird how that works, but I've experienced that a time or two in really cold weather in buildings still heated with iron stoves. Even today, many decades since these were common, people instantly revert to the old custom, and everyone will be gathered around the stove, cup of coffee in their hand, in those rare instances.
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Just a little off the sides please. . .

Pat Holscher
Society Member

http://cas.awm.gov.au/screen_img/EZ0194
An unidentified blacksmith shoes a horse or mule, which has been trussed up because it will not stand, at the Australian Remount Depot. Two units of 800 men each were originally formed to look after the horses of the AIF mounted divsions that were at Gallipoli; however, when they arrived in Egypt in December 1915, the need no longer existed. Nevertheless the units began work, which involved training and exercising horses and mules, and despatching them to various destinations. Horses were received from Australia, England, France, the United States, Argentina, and Palestine. First permanently sited at Heliopolis, the Depot moved to Moascar in April 1917. While personnel numbers were halved in March 1916 and again reduced later that year, the Depot remained in Egypt for over three years. The work was carried out with very little loss of or injury to the many animals handled. As an illustration of the volume of work, in 1916 around 10,000 horses were received and around 10,000 were despatched. Training was time consuming, as many of the animals that arrived were rather wild and only partly broken; while large numbers of men over 50 originally enlisted in the units, the work turned out to be too strenous for them.
Kelton Oliver
Past Society Member
Past Society Member

Pat Holscher wrote:I think this photo is clearly posed. But what it is intended to illustrate is really interesting. These men are all officers, and they're well turned out. They haven't done much shoeing that day. The location does look very much like the period buildings at Ft. Riley in the same period (there's a high likelihood that this one was taken at Ft. Meyer). School photo? Refresher course? Some odd gag?
"Posed" photographs often were (and still are) taken to illustrate some point rather than to accurately depict reality. Without knowing what the photographer intended, it's hard to guess why they were posed this way. Perhaps it was meant to illustrate some aspect of officer training, i.e., "Junior officers will learn horse care to include shoeing and the rudiments of blacksmithing." There's certainly a lot going on in a small space, which makes me think it was "illustrative" rather than "accurate."
Kelton Oliver
Past Society Member
Past Society Member

Pat Holscher wrote:On the stoves, one thing I thought I'd note, given the fellow in the mackinaw to the left, is that in really cold weather, some older type iron stoves radiate blazing hot heat if you're near them, then a few feet a way, in the same building, it's arctic. Weird how that works, but I've experienced that a time or two in really cold weather in buildings still heated with iron stoves. Even today, many decades since these were common, people instantly revert to the old custom, and everyone will be gathered around the stove, cup of coffee in their hand, in those rare instances.
I would be willing to bet that had more to do with poor insulation than with any inefficiency of the iron stove. Here in Alaska, many folks keep hunting cabins in the bush for fall/winter hunting and they're typically heated with wood stoves. As a general rule, they are heavily insulated and carefully chinked to avoid drafts. I can testify that a small wood stove can keep a 1,000 square foot cabin comfortably warm with a minimum of fuel if the heat is kept inside the building.
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Pat Holscher wrote:In Mexico during the Punitive Expedition.

Pat Holscher
Society Member

Pat Holscher
Society Member

Military Policeman of the 28th MP in Berlin taking care of a horse:

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675 ... -the-horse
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Hopalong
Last Name: Krick

I laughed when that soldier in the first movie stepped on that horse's foot because it didn't pick it up fast enough. Good size heel caulks on that horse, and interesting hoof cleaning method.
The second movie is another example of my view that a "horse will carry anything", when it comes to shoeing.
May not carry it very far or for very long, but you can nail just about anything on the bottom of a horse's foot.
The better footed the horse is, the more abuse and neglect it can take.
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Pat Holscher wrote:Shoeing horses in the 115th Cav. Reg. at Pole Mtn, in 1925. Courtesy of the Wyoming Militia Historical Society.

Pat
We have quite a few Pole Mountain photos, including National Guard and Army photos, but this one was handy for bumping up, so I am.
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Probably not a cavalry photo, but mule in stocks in order to be shoed.

http://digital.nls.uk/first-world-war-o ... d=74549300
Hopalong
Last Name: Krick

That is a good size mule.
How about we do a caption contest? I'll start
"Hey Sarge, you do him, he's looking right at you, I think he likes you"
Trooper
Society Member
Last Name: Farrington

Mule: "Two steps closer and I can get them both with a right and left".
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Caption: Faced with the practicalities of mule supported transportation, Sgt. Jones and Pvt. Smith reassess their views on the merits of mechanization.