Radar guided anti-tank donkey?

deddygetty

Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:30 pm

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.................

Don't attract gunfire. It irritates the people around you.
Pat Holscher
Website Admin
Medals: 2
Last Name: Holscher
:
Society Member Donation - Palm Leaf

Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:56 pm

Nothing's coming up here.

Pat
deddygetty

Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:28 am

Sorry Pat. Can you see it now? It was showing up on my computer, but probably (?) because I am a member of the site I got it from. I saved the photo and put it in a different source.

patbailey

Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:17 am

Obviously this was an experimental weapons system for the mountain troops. Only they would need the EMHAT (Enhanced Mobility Hooved Animal Transport).
browerpatch
Society Member
Medals: 1
Last Name: Brower
:
Society Member

Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:30 am

The head-set seems to demonstrate direct communication/control but I can't decide if its for fire control or mobility. Probably both. Is this a crew served piece? Also, I wonder if this is a sub-scale mock-up for training purposes, or if they'll take off the stabilizers on either side when the animal grows up a bit. On the other hand, the stabilizers may pivot to the rear for mobility, and then lock in place for firing.

Or we may be missing the boat altogether, and they may hinge outward for catapult lauch.

Darn those secret weapons, they're always so confusing. What did we come up with to counter this?

Frank
bisley45
Society Member
:
Society Member

Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:47 am

The soldier appears to be wearing a paratrooper's smock. Was this rig air-dropped?

Bisley 45

"Evidently, Mr. Ringo's an educated man. Now I really hate him."
Pat Holscher
Website Admin
:

Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:19 pm

It'd be nice to know what the heck that depicts. It appears to be a Panzerfaust, but what's going on with the rest of that I really wonder.

The Germans did experiment, fwiw, with using dogs armed with mines against tanks. The experimient didn't work, as the dogs were trained by feeding them under tanks. As the Germans trained them, they trained them under German tanks, which is where the mine armed dogs would go when released in the field.

I'm not suggesting, by the way, that this was an effort to get a donnkey to use a Panzerfaust. I just have no idea what this is, other than a Panzerfaust with blast plate underneath a donkey.

Pat
Horse_Grenadier

Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:38 pm

Obviously it was one of Hitlers secret weapons.

Don
browerpatch
Society Member
Last Name: Brower
:
Society Member

Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:39 pm

Reckon they just had too much time on their hands, some junk, and a sense of humor? One doesn't often think of WWII Germans being funny, but I'd bet there are lots of gag photos out there, just as there are from the Allied troops. They probably parked this thing on a gun line, and waited to see a sergeant self-detonate.

This kind of fits in the same vein as my idea of glueing upright corn cobs on the limber chests as "Secure Seat" devices for cannoneers.

Frank
Trooper
Society Member
Last Name: Farrington
:

Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:15 pm

Is the variation of the saw horse in this case a sore donkey? I guess it would be if they fired that Panzerfaust.

Dušan
Couvi
Society Member
Medals: 3
:
Society Member Site Content Donation - 5th

Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:40 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by browerpatch</i>
<br />Reckon they just had too much time on their hands, some junk, and a sense of humor? One doesn't often think of WWII Germans being funny, but I'd bet there are lots of gag photos out there, just as there are from the Allied troops. They probably parked this thing on a gun line, and waited to see a sergeant self-detonate.

This kind of fits in the same vein as my idea of glueing upright corn cobs on the limber chests as "Secure Seat" devices for cannoneers.

Frank
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I think Frank has brought this back to the realm of reality.

Couvi

<i>"Cavalier sans Cheval"</i>
Pat Holscher
Website Admin
:

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:31 am

By the way, Bisley is correct. The soldier is a paratrooper, and is in the Luftwaffe.

Pat
Pat Holscher
Website Admin
:

Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:19 am

Great opportunity for one of those really long German words for things. Tank, after all, in German is Panzerkampfwagen, that is, an armored fighting vehicle, all as one word.

Perhaps a Panzerfaustsattelfureselfurfalshmirjager. In English, Bazooka saddle for donkey for paratrooper. Probably the PfSEF Mk I.

Pat

<i>"Cry Havoc, and let slip the Panzerfaust Packing Donkeys of war."</i>
Horse_Grenadier

Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:43 pm

The German military in WWII did have a sense of humor,but most people dont think of that when they think of them.

Don
Couvi
Society Member
:

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:14 pm

Pat,<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pat Holscher</i>
<br />Great opportunity for one of those really long German words for things. Tank, after all, in German is Panzerkampfwagen, that is, an armored fighting vehicle, all as one word.

Perhaps a Panzerfaustsattelfureselfurfalshmirjager. In English, Bazooka saddle for donkey for paratrooper. Probably the PfSEF Mk I.

Pat

<i>"Cry Havoc, and let slip the Panzerfaust Packing Donkeys of war."</i>
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">You are demented!

Couvi

Joseph Sullivan
Website Admin
:
Society Member Donation - 6th

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:53 pm

He is.

We need to add him to the nut job thread.

Joe
Pat Holscher
Website Admin
:

Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:23 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joseph Sullivan</i>
<br />He is.

Joe
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Oh sure. That's what they said about Da Vinci too.

Just because others can't see the utility of an armored bazooka packing donkey. . .

Pat

<i>Panzerfaust Packing Donkeys shall Pound the Protected Palaces of the Polyester Pleasure Pirates of the 21st Century</i>
Couvi
Society Member
:

Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:37 pm

Joe,<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joseph Sullivan</i>
<br />He is.

Joe
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I think he walked over there under his own power!

Couvi

Pat Holscher
Website Admin
:

Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:02 pm

Speaking of demented, based on recent tours of the "History" channel, I'm reasonable certain that if we submitted this photo to the History Channel, we'd learn that while we think it depicts a Luftwaffe paratrooper with a panzerfaust and donkey, that actually it depicts a secret USAF program in Newark, in which aliens caputured by the USAF, the State Department, and mail order department of J. C. Penny's, are secretly examined. Here we see one such alien, we'd be informed (note the long head, and the spooky lanky limbs) who is seen wearing his Blast Pack. His USAF guard, we'd be told, is secretly disguised as a WWII German Luftwaffe member, so as to be mistaken, by passerbys, for a member of the White Sands Missle Fun Club.

All this, the narrator and guests would tell us, was kept super secret by the government, even though the same government couldn't even keep all the details of the atomic bomb secret. They were able to do this over successive administrations because it's not only secret, but Super Duper Secret.

Pat
deddygetty

Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:19 am

I'm thinkin' (which usually leads to trouble of some sort) that the sawhorse/support rig is just a device used for loading/unloading the contraption, and the legs are removed during use of the "weapon". It crossed my mind that maybe they fed the donkeys from the back of captured Shermans, so they followed them like they had teets. When the German paratrooper heard the donkey (through the headset) getting close to a tank, he fired the panzerfaust remotely.