First Louisiana Cavalry

A forum for general topics and questions.
Ralph Lovett
Society Member
Last Name: Lovett

I am collecting 42nd Division uniform groups from the WW1 Era and have focused on 84th Brigade and other Southern NG units within the 42nd. I have recently gotten Captain Louis John Taylor's Punitive Expedition uniform. He was the commander of First Cavalry, Louisiana National Guard, and later the commander of the HQ Troop (2nd Separate Troop) of Louisiana Cavalry in the 42nd Division (Rainbow Division) in WW1.

I am especially looking for photos of this unit, and Captain Louis J. Taylor.

R/

Ralph
Attachments
CPT_Louis_J_Taylor_1916_Uniform.jpg
CPT_Louis_J_Taylor_1916_Uniform.jpg (240.41 KiB) Viewed 2622 times
CPT_Loius_John_Taylor_2nd_LA_CAV.jpg
CPT_Loius_John_Taylor_2nd_LA_CAV.jpg (129.88 KiB) Viewed 2622 times
Kurt Hughes
Society Member

Sorry I cannot be of any great help but if you did not already know, he is mentioned on page 114 of the book: Louisiana Legacy: A History of the State National Guard. By Casso.

Kurt
Ralph Lovett
Society Member

Kurt

Thanks. Yes, that was one of the bits of information I have found on him. I have also bought the book. Also, right now the Louisiana NG Museum is closed but I have been in touch with the staff working at home. They have offered to help so maybe something in the LA NG archives will be unearthed on him. There is also quite a lot on Ancestry and Family Search. I have been in touch with one of his relatives but so far no additional information.

In a week or so I will add a page on my web site for him, once I have my ideas more or less together.

R/

Ralph
Couvi
Society Member

Didn’t COL Albert E. Phillips, of Phillips packsaddle fame, come out of that unit, too?
Ralph Lovett
Society Member

Close, Colonel Albert E. Phillips started his military career in First Louisiana Infantry, Company L during the Spanish American War.

With Captain Louis John Taylor, I have found a photo of him with his officers (1LT Roy Miller) and a sergeant that was soon to be promoted to 1LT. Once I get the research together, I will post a web page. I will put the link on this Military Horse thread.
Couvi
Society Member

Excellent! :thumbup:
Ralph Lovett
Society Member

US_CPT_Louis_J_Taylor_Uniform_coat_2_.jpg
US_CPT_Louis_J_Taylor_Uniform_coat_2_.jpg (77.79 KiB) Viewed 2536 times
This weekend I put together all the research I have on Captain Louis J. Taylor of the Separate Troop of Louisiana Cavalry, 42nd Division in WW1. Hope you enjoy what I have on the page but if you know more please let me know: https://www.lovettartillery.com/US_Loui ... rm_Gr.html
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Thanks for posting this really nice example of this uniform!