1885 Nosebag

A forum for general topics and questions.
Cesar Dubon
Last Name: Dubon

Hello,
Does anyone know or have regs ref. for when they started adding the leather vent to the 85 nosebag?
Todd
Society Member
Last Name: Holmes

NICE! The proportions are visually perfect on that saddle - I’ve never seen that level of work in miniatures before. :thumbup:

I believe 1885 was earliest printed reg describing leather ventilator. It may have been in limited use before that, in some form or other, but I’ll let more knowledgeable people speak to that.
Trooper
Society Member
Last Name: Farrington

Excellent work :clap: :clap: :clap:
the level of detail and authenticity of the saddle and equipment is superior to the sabre and carbine - are these commercial pieces?
If so, make your own! :thumbup:
Cesar Dubon

Todd wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:42 am NICE! The proportions are visually perfect on that saddle - I’ve never seen that level of work in miniatures before. :thumbup:

I believe 1885 was earliest printed reg describing leather ventilator. It may have been in limited use before that, in some form or other, but I’ll let more knowledgeable people speak to that.

Thank you for the nice comments. This is the image and nose bag ref. from the 85 regs but no leather vent...
Couvi
Society Member

Beautiful work! :thumbup:
Todd
Society Member
Last Name: Holmes

Cesar Dubon wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:21 pm
Todd wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:42 am NICE! The proportions are visually perfect on that saddle - I’ve never seen that level of work in miniatures before. :thumbup:

Thank you for the nice comments. This is the image and nose bag ref. from the 85 regs but no leather vent...
Ah, you are quite correct - again, I'm forgetting more than I ever knew... :D

Here's a fine link to ordnance discussion of this very issue:

https://books.google.com/books?id=xRw2A ... ry&f=false

While this doesn't say that they started in 1892 - many modifications and changes during IWP and period up to WW1 were just 'slip-streamed' into production without much fanfare. The next clearly 'specified' ventilated nosebag comes with M1904, which may have been the previous form with slight changes like leather color, hardware type, etc. Hopefully someone more in the know will pipe in!
Cesar Dubon

Thank you Todd for finding that. Great reference. As you say its possible the 85 bags w/o the leather vent lingered all the way up to 1904 as well as some units implemented the new order after 92. Thanks again.
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Wow. Very impressive work!
Cesar Dubon

Thank you Pat.