M1904 McClellan Question via email

Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Recently we received this request by email. My will appear below.
Pat
I received your contact info from CuChullaine O’Reilly of the Long Rider’s Guild – I have an old pack saddle that my father (who collected civil war memorabilia and old stuff ) that I would like to donate.
I will send some photos (sorry I’m not a very goods photographer) – al coal harness repair person said this was in “good” condition for its age.
It has all the straps, cinches, croupiers. Etc and I also have 3 covered leather stirrups with the “US” insignia on them.
Let me know what you think – I ‘m just looking to place them with someone who would appreciate them.
Thank you
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (723.07 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (626.14 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (649.14 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
photo 4.JPG[/attachment [attachment=5]photo 1a.JPG
photo 2a.JPG
photo 2a.JPG (432.79 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
[attachment=0]photo 3a.JPG[/attachment
Attachments
photo 3a.JPG
photo 3a.JPG (527.8 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
photo 4.JPG
photo 4.JPG (436.59 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
photo 1a.JPG
photo 1a.JPG (487.32 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

My reply is below. Feel free to add additional comments:

Pamela

Your saddle is a M1904 McClellan saddle. It is not a pack saddle, but rather the type of saddle that was used broadly for mounted men (artillery and cavalry) by the Army for a very long time. This version came into use in 1904 and remained in use up until a modified variant started to replace it in 1928. It’s highly likely that your saddle was manufactured during World War One, when huge quantities of this type of saddle were made. Your stirrups are of the cavalry type.

I’ll fill in more later. Can I posted your query and photos on our forum? I’ll also post my reply immediately above, but chances are that you’ll get additional replies.

As far as donating it, what I’d note is that these saddles are far from rare. I saw one in the front office of a trucking company last Friday that was in complete condition (which yours is not) and I have one myself. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t have value, but as a display item it is not hard to find complete saddles. My guess is that in order for this to find a place in a museum type collection it would have to be a fairly local one that otherwise lacked the means and resources to find one.

Pat