Mounted policeman and tank

Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

British tank and New York mounted policeman.
Attachments
25571r.jpg
25571r.jpg (45.67 KiB) Viewed 4785 times
Sam Cox
Society Member
Last Name: Cox

Snap!

Pat Holscher
Society Member

M4A3E8?
Sam Cox
Society Member

I think so

Need to consult www.militarytank.org

Fort Hood 1951
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Sam Cox wrote:I think so

Need to consult http://www.militarytank.org

Fort Hood 1951
I think it is.

In thinking on it, that really says something about how many varieties of Sherman there were during World War Two. It'd go up to the M4A4 (discounting the Canadian M4A5) and the M4A6.

So this variant, the M4A3E8, is the third sub model of first model, and at least the eight variant of that sub model.

Neat photograph.
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Thinking on this being a post war photograph caused me to wonder about a couple of things.

One is that this is one of the more advanced Sherman's of WWII, with a high velocity 75mm gun, but at the time this photo was taken these were being bested by T-34s in Korea, which isn't a huge surprise as the late WWII T-34s were still going toe to toe with the best of the late war German heavy and medium tanks in late 44 and 45, whereas the Sherman didn't do that so well (fortunately, the German takes were hard to make and routinely broken on their own accord). The Pershing was our best tank of the 40s and by this time I think the M48 was coming in. I wonder if at this point in time the US had retired or modified prior Sherman variants?

As a passing item, the 115th Cavalry, which I've written about quite a bit here as it was a Wyoming Army National Guard unit, was mechanized cavalry. It was not mobilized for the Korean War.

I wonder how common mounted MPs were at Ft. Hood?
Sam Cox
Society Member

Here we have Stephen Sabo of the 1st Armored Divisions MP section at Fort Hood in 1952.

The photo is marked on the reverse as Stephen Sabo one of the mounted police at Ft Hood on Army-Air manoeuvres.

Until this photo popped up i had no idea about mounted cops in the States.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/761950567256955/
Couvi
Society Member

From Mr. Lemons, former Curator of the Patton Museum of Cavalry and Armor at Fort Knox, KY:
M4A3 (76mm) Wet Stowage. - you might say the precursor to the M4A3E8 (the difference is the suspension).

It even looks like it might even have a spaced out E9 type suspension. Odd bird this one. Notice the added "fender" along the side of the hull. Usually that would be a mark of the M4A3E8 - but this tank is fitted with the VVSS suspension rather than the HVSS. It has the solid steel track, but it does not have duck-bill extenders normally associated with the E9 (spaced) suspension. That variant involves putting in a 3" spacer between the hull and normal VVSS suspension, leaving room to put the duck-bill extenders on both the inside and outside track pins - giving you a track as wide or wider than the E8. It was an expedient made obsolete by the M4A3E8 (also known as the M4A3 76mm (Wet) HVSS Medium Tank)

Any questions?
Sam Cox
Society Member

Not any more.

Thanks Couvi.