U.S. Carbine Boot (again)

mnhorse
Last Name: Resseman

I've have what I had referred for years as an 1885 Cavalry Carbine Boot. It is the one with the flare reinforced with a brass "throat". It is marked on the back "W.C.C.".
I see references to it in Randy Steffen's book and find some pictures on line. Also the "Ordnance Memoranda No. 29 HORSE EQUIPMENT & CAVALRY ACCOUTREMENTS" dates 1891, describes the boot in great detail.
Now to the question, I recently acquired another shorter one less the brass throat. It is marked "C7", "43" or "48" (which appears to be struck over "11" also " ROCK ISLAND ARSENAL" all on the front side above the upper strap .
Trooper, I'm looking at your book as I write this. You refer to the brass throated boot as the Model 1886 and the less brass version as the 1885.
The pattern in your book lists the 1886 as 13 5/8" top to bottom (mine is only13 1/4"). The pattern for the 1885 as 11 1/2" with the lower strap flush with the bottom of the boot.
The RIA piece I just got measures 11" and the lower strap is 3" from the bottom. Pretty much looks like the one in use in figure 5-22.
Mine shows no sign of having been altered.
Model ID aside, does any one have an idea what the C7 and or the 43/48 or 11 refers to?
Richard
Trooper
Society Member
Last Name: Farrington

Hi Richard,
Your carbine boot is a fairly frequently seen modification of the 1885 boot with the lower strap moved higher for attachment to the rear quarter strap rather than the girth ring. The reason it is only 11" long and shows no other signs of modification is that the lower 1/2", where the original rivet hole was located, has been removed, probably by the troop saddler.
The variation is one of several that can be found and they are the evidence that troops in the field sometimes "improved" issue kit to personal preferences.
The markings could be interpreted to show issue to at least two troopers of C Troop 7th Cavalry.

Hope this helps a bit.
mnhorse
Last Name: Resseman

Trooper wrote:Hi Richard,
Your carbine boot is a fairly frequently seen modification of the 1885 boot with the lower strap moved higher for attachment to the rear quarter strap rather than the girth ring. The reason it is only 11" long and shows no other signs of modification is that the lower 1/2", where the original rivet hole was located, has been removed, probably by the troop saddler.
The variation is one of several that can be found and they are the evidence that troops in the field sometimes "improved" issue kit to personal preferences.
The markings could be interpreted to show issue to at least two troopers of C Troop 7th Cavalry.

Hope this helps a bit.
The modification was done very neatly, right down to running an decorative edge on the "new" bottom . I did find an almost invisible rivet hole from the original strap attaching location. The new rivet is in the side of the boot whereas the original was in front.
Many thanks,
Richard