The Hompesch Hussars--Jaeger Regiment zu Pferd Des Herrn

Reviews and commentary on books, films, etc.
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

The Hompesch Hussars--Jaeger Regiment zu Pferd Des Herrn, 1794-1802 by Michael Robinson, Military Collector and Historian, Vol. 64, No1, Spring 2012

This really interesting CMH articles discusses a unit raised by Baron Charles von Hompesch and his brother which served with the British against revolutionary France from 1794 to 1802. The unit was comprised of German volunteers (with quite a few French Royalist officers at first) and started off as a Hussars unit, but which ultimately became a mounted rifleman regiment.

Its a really fascinating treatment. I had no idea that non British units even served in the British Army in this period, or that anyone raised a volunteer mounted unit to serve with the British. The examination of equipment is fascinating, giving us a very early look at a mounted rifles type unit. And the article makes it plain how wars between France and the UK in this period were really world wars. This unit, for example, saw amazingly far flung service, having been used not only on the Continent against the French, but also on Santo Domingo, in Ireland (against Irish revolutionaries) and in Egypt. It suffered from high attrition in this time period, which doesn't seem to have kept Germans from volunteering for it.

A very interesting look at armies of this period, and of the global nature of the war between England and France.
Kelton Oliver
Past Society Member
Past Society Member

Pat Holscher wrote:The Hompesch Hussars--Jaeger Regiment zu Pferd Des Herrn, 1794-1802 by Michael Robinson, Military Collector and Historian, Vol. 64, No1, Spring 2012

I had no idea that non British units even served in the British Army in this period...
Bear in mind that George III of England was also prince-elector (later king) of Hanover. In a museum in Hanover, I saw a uniform from a Hanoverian unit of Englishmen and another from a Hanoverian unit of Highlanders, so a German unit in the British army wasn't a very big stretch. The English monarch's German connection was the reason he was able to easily rent units from his cousins and fellow prince-electors in what is now Germany for the American Revolution.

According to Émigré and Foreign Troops in British Service (1): 1793-1802 By René Chartrand and Patrice Courcelle, Hompesch's Hussars were raised in 1794 by Baron Charles Hompesch at Schwarm, Hanover. Although nominally under British command, they weren't "foreign" troops, but loyal Hanoverians serving their monarch.
unclearthur
Last Name: Hopkins

I seem to remember Norbert Landsheit of the 20th LD was ex-Hompesch Hussars, and a good number of their rankers transferred to or re-enlisted in British regiments.

Interesting that, because I'd have thought the Kings German Legion more appropriate. 'Foreign' regiments were supposedly not allowed on the British mainland (the Isle of Wight was okay, though!) but maybe after the resumption of hostilities with Napoleon in 1803 that wasn't an issue - the government just wanted as many experienced soldiers as it could get.
Pfeiltizer

The Hompesch Hussars are the key transitional point for my Latvian noble, Prussian, Pour le Mérite (1787) winner, Lieutenant Baron George Frederick Pfeilitzer (born Struteln, Latvia December 12, 1766 and died St. James' Westminster, London July 15,1853) was a Major by then.

For a long time, the vehicle by which a lifelong Courlander (technically Russian) could be recognized as a British officer and later civil servant was as a mystery to me. Now it becomes crystal clear.

I have a photcopy of his signed report for Hompesch January 1795 from Zeewolde and then in July 1795 when he had been "promoted" to the Duke of York Rangers taken from the Dons Papers in the British Library last week and have since then found French sources which show his pivotal role as the Order of Merit team were tasked with the new initiative.

I suspect that he transferred to the Duke, when York became Colonel in his own regiment in February. This group ended up moving back and forth between Dominican and St Christopher (St. Kitts) during which he married as his first Baroness, Ann Mauduit Garvey in 1797. She was the sister of Captain John Garvey, HM 3rd Regiment of Foot or Buffs, who was unfortunately murdered in 1802. Anna died 1806, with two daughters.

Selection from Viscomte Grouvel - Leas Corps de Troupe de L'emigration Francaise (1789-1815)

Their service
Hompesch Text.png
Hompesch Text.png (145.73 KiB) Viewed 2614 times
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Kelton Oliver wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:56 pm
Pat Holscher wrote:The Hompesch Hussars--Jaeger Regiment zu Pferd Des Herrn, 1794-1802 by Michael Robinson, Military Collector and Historian, Vol. 64, No1, Spring 2012

I had no idea that non British units even served in the British Army in this period...
Bear in mind that George III of England was also prince-elector (later king) of Hanover.
Indeed, the House of Hanover has been in the news the past couple of weeks due to 19 year old Princess Alexandra of Hanover from Monaco being booted off the English line of succession due to her choice of Christian confession.

You'd think that an event like this would be bigger news. It's almost like a lot of other stuff is going on or something. :problem: