Trailmobile

A forum for general topics and questions.
lec

Lucin Truscott in his book "Twilight of the U.S. Cavalry" mentions the use of a horsedrawn vehicle which was called a "trailmobile". Apparently it was a rubber tired vehicle which was designed to be pulled behind a Liberty Truck in WWI but was also capable of being drawn by horses. Anyone have any knowledge of this vehicle? Photos? TM's or other references?
Philip S
Society Member
Last Name: Sauerlender

Couvi
Society Member

Larry,

Portee Field Artillery involved a 75mm Field Gun, usually a Model of 1897 (French) or its US equivalent, and a caisson, carried on a hard rubber-tired trailer, a Trailmobile Model 1916, I believe. The 5-ton Holt Tractor was carried in the FWD or Jeffrey Quad truck which also pulled the trailer. This lash-up was a stopgap measure due to the low road speed and debilitating effects of long road trips on the primitive Holt tractors of the time. As transportation got better, the system was abandoned. It also allowed the use of horse-drawn artillery materiel with mechanized equipment with little or no modification.

Couvi

<i>"Cavalier sans Cheval"</i>
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Philip S</i>
<br />Check out:

http://www.trailmobile.com/About_Trailm ... obile.html
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Interesting link!

Pat
Pat Holscher
Society Member

This thread depicts a lot of varied trucks and trailers used by the Army between WWI and WWII:

topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3431

Pat
Pat Holscher
Society Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tom Muller</i>
<br />

Pat

This trailer reminds me of the Trailmoblile ones depicted in the link Philip posted. This scene depicts a trailer in use in Namibia, in Tom's earlier thread.

Pat
Last edited by Pat Holscher on Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pat Holscher
Society Member

I took a look in Ian Hogg's compilation of WWII U.S. Army manuals, "Arsenal of Democracy" in regards to horse trailer manufacturers. For the various types he shows, which do not include all the early types shown in the thread I linked in above, he shows:

Bartlett Trailer Co. (two horse)
Schult Co. (two horse)
A. J. Miller Auto Cruiser Col (two horse)
Porto Products Co. (two horse)
Black Diamond Trailer Col (3.5 ton stake)
Dorsey Brothers (3.5 ton)
Highway Trailer Col (3.5 ton)
Hobbs Mfg Col (3.5 ton)
Kingham Trailer Col (3.5 ton)
Strick Co. (3.5 ton)
Utility Tralier Mfg Co. (3.5 ton)
Truck Engineering Corp (3.5 ton)
Winter Weiss Co. (3.5 ton)
Highway Trailer Col. (6 ton)
Gramm Motor Truck and Trailer Corp (6 ton)

Trailmobile isn't mentioned, but it may have been missed. Or it may refer to earlier trailers. From their appearances, the 6 ton and 3.5 ton trailers seem to have been the ones in widespread use in the late 30s and 40s.

Pat
Pat Holscher
Society Member

A selection of typical Army trailers from between the wars is depicted here, in these photos sent to us by Jim Ott. The bigger trailers, dating from just before or very early in World War Two are, I think, 6 ton trailers.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pat Holscher</i>
<br />Jim Ott sent these really great photos. Some you might recognize, and some not. Absolutely fantastic stuff, thanks Jim!

Pat

Pat
Last edited by Pat Holscher on Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Korean War vintage Trailmobile advertisement:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1951-Trailmobile-Ad ... otohosting

Pat
Tom Muller
Society Member
Last Name: Muller

Pat,

the trailers we used in SWA were loaded from the back, unloaded by the front door as seen in the photo where I'm digging like a maniac. The advantage was that we could unload the horses much faster this way.

Tom
Kelton Oliver
Past Society Member
Past Society Member

Now, that's a manly horse being loaded in that ambulance! I want one like that!
Pat Holscher
Society Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kelton Oliver</i>
<br />Now, that's a manly horse being loaded in that ambulance! I want one like that!

Interesting to note how the men are dressed in that one. Most of the troops are wearing their wool uniforms, sans jacket. They have leggings, but spurs. The soldier on the far right (veterinarian?) looking in the cab of the truck is wearing, I think, the blue denim jacket, and leather boots. The guy loading the sick horse, however, is wearing a rain coat.

Pat
trailmobile

I have a 1917 Trailmobile Ambulance Version, looking for any other owners out there, need to fab the drawbar
Pat Holscher
Society Member

trailmobile wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:45 pm I have a 1917 Trailmobile Ambulance Version, looking for any other owners out there, need to fab the drawbar
I'm afraid I can't help, but that's pretty neat!
Pat Holscher
Society Member

On this old thread, fwiw, Trailmobile is still in business. They started off as a trailer manufacturer just prior to World War One and then changed their name to that right about WWI. Today they make semi trailers, which is basically something that the started to make during World War One, making a wide assortment of trailers built on some basic platforms. There seem to have been several sizes, and four wheel and two wheel wagons, all of which bear a strong resemblance to horse drawn wagons but all of which were capable of being towed by vehicles.