Would this be the same 'Sam Walker'?

A forum for general topics and questions.
Todd
Society Member
Last Name: Holmes

M. Tarver and T.F. Risk, eds., "Grimsley's Dragoon,
or Military Saddle-Tree," The Western Journal of Agriculture,
Manufactures, Mechanic Arts, Internal Improvement, Commerce
and General Literature, l(February, 1848)

Discussion on the selection process (or formalizing of the already accepted Grimsley dragoon saddle as the regulation pattern) -
would this 'Sam Walker' be the same 'Sam Walker' of the big revolver fame?
sam_walker_saddle.jpg
sam_walker_saddle.jpg (72.38 KiB) Viewed 2041 times
Kurt Hughes
Society Member

Hi Todd

I do not know the answer but what might be of interest are extracts of letters from Sam walker to Sam Colt , these are from the book Sam Colt's Own Record 1847.

From Sam Walker to Sam Colt 18th April 1847 New Orleans Barracks.

I have 160 men and am still recruiting for the Regiment and have choice material, Holsters to suit the revolvers were made in Washington with the saddles and ought to be on their way out before this time I shall take my horses with me and shall want nothing but the pistols to go immediately in the interior of Mexico.

In a later letter dated 28th April 1847 from New Orleans, again from Sam Walker to Sam Colt he writes:
believing my saddles would not be sent from Washington in time I have got another full set making here which will be complete in a few days which I am now waiting for, I shall give orders here for a full set of holsters also which will be sent to Vera Cruz as soon as your pistols can reach me.

Kurt
Todd
Society Member
Last Name: Holmes

Kurt Hughes wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:57 pm Hi Todd

I do not know the answer but what might be of interest are extracts of letters from Sam walker to Sam Colt , these are from the book Sam Colt's Own Record 1847.

From Sam Walker to Sam Colt 18th April 1847 New Orleans Barracks.

I have 160 men and am still recruiting for the Regiment and have choice material, Holsters to suit the revolvers were made in Washington with the saddles and ought to be on their way out before this time I shall take my horses with me and shall want nothing but the pistols to go immediately in the interior of Mexico.

In a later letter dated 28th April 1847 from New Orleans, again from Sam Walker to Sam Colt he writes:
believing my saddles would not be sent from Washington in time I have got another full set making here which will be complete in a few days which I am now waiting for, I shall give orders here for a full set of holsters also which will be sent to Vera Cruz as soon as your pistols can reach me.

Kurt
Brilliant!

Fairly easy to presume that some example(s) of the original Washington order might have fallen into the War Department hands for consideration in the next year.

I so want to think that these were some early Texas style....will take some additional searching though.
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Interesting question!
Couvi
Society Member

This has nothing to do with the saddle question, but note the epaulettes.

https://www.texasranger.org/texas-range ... -h-walker/
Kurt Hughes
Society Member

They are quite impressive wings, below is photo of a pair that was with a breathtaking display of Captain Sam Walker's possessions back in 2012, it included uniform items, sabre, pistols, knife, canteen and various other items relating to Sam Walker.
PA240093.JPG
PA240093.JPG (476.53 KiB) Viewed 1988 times
Couvi
Society Member

I had never seen any like that before!