Guns and Lace Exhibition

Philip S
Society Member
Last Name: Sauerlender

The National Civil War Museum in Harrisburg, PA has currently on exhibit a very interesting display sponsored by the National Rifle Association. It combines firearms with very special ownership with women's dresses of the period. I have attached examples with cavalry association:
William Quantrill 1851 Colt Navy revolver
William Quantrill 1851 Colt Navy revolver
William Quantrill 1851 Colt Navy revolver-1.jpg (84.31 KiB) Viewed 9910 times
Guns and Lace sign at entrance
Guns and Lace sign at entrance
Guns and Lace sign at entrance.jpg (67.14 KiB) Viewed 9910 times
Colt conversion model 1851 Navy-Conf scout and cav prvt
Colt conversion model 1851 Navy-Conf scout and cav prvt
Colt conversion model 1851 Navy--Conf Scout and Priv John Omohundro 9th VA Cav.jpg (79.41 KiB) Viewed 9910 times
Colt 1873 captured at LBH by Chief White Bull
Colt 1873 captured at LBH by Chief White Bull
Colt 1873 Revolver captured at LBH by Chief White Bull.jpg (79.6 KiB) Viewed 9910 times
Colt 1873 owned by Marcus Reno at LBH
Colt 1873 owned by Marcus Reno at LBH
Colt 1873 Revolver owned by Marcus Reno at LBH.jpg (74.04 KiB) Viewed 9910 times
Colt 1849 presentation set- Brig Gen Benjamin Grierson
Colt 1849 presentation set- Brig Gen Benjamin Grierson
Colt 1849 presentation set-Brig General Benjamin Grierson.jpg (106.41 KiB) Viewed 9910 times
Colt Revolver-Confederate Gen Joseph Wheeler
Colt Revolver-Confederate Gen Joseph Wheeler
Cold revolver-Confederate Gen Joseph Weeler.jpg (77.55 KiB) Viewed 9910 times
Philip S
Society Member

The exhibit has been called "An Affront to Decency":

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2016/02/ha ... ill_g.html
Couvi
Society Member

Excellent! :thumbup:
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Philip S wrote:The exhibit has been called "An Affront to Decency":

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2016/02/ha ... ill_g.html
I find the people who find it to be an affront to decency to be an affront to history, intelligence and common sense.
Todd
Society Member
Last Name: Holmes

Perhaps there was too much lace for their sensibilities...
Trooper
Society Member
Last Name: Farrington

I'm taken aback by all this talk of taking affront, perhaps some folks need taking aside... :D
Philip S
Society Member

Some more objects on display:
Attachments
Right - gown worn to Lincoln 1865 Inaugaral Ball.jpg
Right - gown worn to Lincoln 1865 Inaugaral Ball.jpg (81.71 KiB) Viewed 9878 times
slave dress.jpg
slave dress.jpg (55.97 KiB) Viewed 9878 times
S and W Model 2 Army - Lt J W Kincheloe 49 VA CSA.jpg
S and W Model 2 Army - Lt J W Kincheloe 49 VA CSA.jpg (92.91 KiB) Viewed 9878 times
shotgun gift to Seward by Brit PM Gladstone.jpg
shotgun gift to Seward by Brit PM Gladstone.jpg (97.37 KiB) Viewed 9878 times
Engraved Henry - Sec of War Simon Cameron.jpg
Engraved Henry - Sec of War Simon Cameron.jpg (103.88 KiB) Viewed 9878 times
Henry and Colt  set-Sec of War -  Simon Cameron.jpg
Henry and Colt set-Sec of War - Simon Cameron.jpg (94.96 KiB) Viewed 9878 times
Philip S
Society Member

A problem with an exhibit like this is that it assumes a knowledge of who the guns owners were. I doubt that many casual visitors know much beyond Lincoln, Lee, and (perhaps) Grant. Teaching them who, what, and when is a missed opportunity.
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Todd's new Avatar, by the way, is scaring me.
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Philip S wrote:A problem with an exhibit like this is that it assumes a knowledge of who the guns owners were. I doubt that many casual visitors know much beyond Lincoln, Lee, and (perhaps) Grant. Teaching them who, what, and when is a missed opportunity.
Well, that's a kind opinion, but an additional problem is that the history minded people who put this on assume a certain level of intelligent curiosity on the part of the public. Unfortunately, we have a certain class now that is looking for opportunities to be offended. And additionally unfortunately, they're generally coddled.

War is brutal. Wars happen in history. Wars happen now. Showing the instruments of war is not advancing war itself nor is it advancing the cause of any of the combatants. Presumably a display of early Medieval swords wouldn't send people into fits of rage about Saxon aggression or (more likely now days) the poor misunderstood nature of pagan Saxons and the hideous oppression they met by British not misunderstanding their aggression as a suppressed need for a bushel of kittens and an open ear as to their Weltanschauung.

It's a weird thing to realize that in this day and age, when we're involved in a struggle with a force which would just as soon as lop most of our heads off than consider our views, we have in our midst a collection of such delicate flowers that the mere appearance of a long retired weapon of war would send them into such a fit of stupidity.
wkambic
Society Member
Last Name: Kambic

I've got a friend, a superlative rider and historian, who does an SS Pazer crewman impression. We had a chat one day and I indicated that SS impressions really did give me some "heartburn." The history there is about as ugly as it gets. He agreed, but noted that if you're going to do any sort of historical presentation how can you have "good" without "evil?"

Likewise, if you're going to consider the history of the ACW how can you look at only one side? Isn't that just "one hand clapping?" To have a "pearl clutching moment" over weapons that were obsolete 150 years ago also removes a central part of the story. The ability to make these things would be a major reason for Union success. I'm not a Confederate partisan (I think the Confederacy was a bad idea that fortunately didn't work) but that doesn't mean I wish to "sanitize" the public square of all vestiges of that entity. To do so is dishonest and more "one hand clapping."

Every body has the right to be offended. They don't have the right to never be presented with anything that might offend them.
Couvi
Society Member

Bill Kambic: Every body has the right to be offended. They don't have the right to never be presented with anything that might offend them.
I'm going to use that one. :thumbup:
Philip S
Society Member

Fortunately none of the guns in the special display were stolen:

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2016/02/ha ... icle_small
Philip S
Society Member

It turns out it was the three guns owned by Samon Cameron which were stolen:

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2016/02/ha ... icle_small
Philip S
Society Member

Todd
Society Member
Last Name: Holmes

Philip S wrote:More on the breakin:

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2016/02/ha ... river_home
No motion sensors?
No window intrusion sensors?
Probably half million dollars of artifacts in unsecured exhibit displays... with no live security on site?
The fact that objects ( some on LOAN no less ) were not secured after hours is scary enough.

And all this on top of the fact that this place is a political hot-potato with local government?

Sounds like it's about time for a game of old style mongol mounted soccer... :?
Pat Holscher
Society Member

The State of Wyoming had an original Henry stolen from the tiny museum at Ft. Fetterman. The identification of the suspected thief was always strongly suspected but what proved to be interesting is that there are so few original Henrys that holding on to it proved impossible for that person and transferring it likewise was.

Its a museum that is closed all winter and the rifle simply reappeared there.
Couvi
Society Member

About 25 years ago, an Oklahoma Highway Patrolman was turning in his cruiser at the maintenance building when he saw people moving on the roof of the 45th Inf Div Museum in Oklahoma city at about 2:00AM. He called the cops and about four or five persons were apprehended and arrested. They had plotted the blind spots in the coverage of the alarm system, had come in through the attic on ropes and had loaded up duffel bags full of Nazi weapons, uniforms and the like. They had scouted out Fort Sill’s museums, but had not had time to make their heist. They had emptied the museum at Fort Supply of all its Nazi stuff previously. They were in high school! They had plotted the alarms at Fort Sill on the back of their homework! The ringleader was seventeen years old and was living in a common-law arrangement with a 34-year-old woman. The judge reasoned that since he was living as an adult, he could be tried as an adult. I never found out what their sentences were.
selewis
Society Member
Last Name: Lewis

I believe that the average thief is a far greater menace than the average murderer.
Philip S
Society Member

The stolen items have a questionable providence:

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2016/02/ha ... vil_w.html