Midway movie

Reviews and commentary on books, films, etc.
browerpatch
Society Member
Last Name: Brower

I went to see "Midway" the other day, and was impressed with the detail of the CGI. I was also somewhat disappointed by the almost overwhelming reliance on CGI and the CGI colors seemed muted. Overall, though, I thought it was a bit over-acted. I expect the difficulty of trying to act in front of a green screen may have had something to do with that. The continuity of the episodes (Pearl Harbor, the Doolittle Raid, and the Battle of Midway) seemed rushed, and I would have liked a bit more context for each. Also missing was the PBY search for the Japanese fleet.

I'm glad I saw it on the big screen, because I don't think it will do well on home viewing. I think I like the 1976 film better, even with the sappy love story (and I've never really like Edward Albert, either).
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

browerpatch wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:22 am I went to see "Midway" the other day, and was impressed with the detail of the CGI. I was also somewhat disappointed by the almost overwhelming reliance on CGI and the CGI colors seemed muted. Overall, though, I thought it was a bit over-acted. I expect the difficulty of trying to act in front of a green screen may have had something to do with that. The continuity of the episodes (Pearl Harbor, the Doolittle Raid, and the Battle of Midway) seemed rushed, and I would have liked a bit more context for each. Also missing was the PBY search for the Japanese fleet.

I'm glad I saw it on the big screen, because I don't think it will do well on home viewing. I think I like the 1976 film better, even with the sappy love story (and I've never really like Edward Albert, either).
Thanks for the review.

I was going to catch it even though I was put off by the CGI. I didn't, as now that both of my kids are away in college, the person I would have gone to see this with was absent and Long Suffering Spouse wouldn't have been too interested (having said that, we were both interested in seeing Ford vs. Ferrari and we missed that too. .. the returned gang went to see the most recent Star Wars last night, but I've stopped my following of that cinematic series with the original first three released).

While trailing off of your review, I've seen the recent CGI enhanced The Irishman, which I was curious about knowing somewhat about the underlying work, They Say You Paint Houses. I liked the film, but I thought the CGI treatment was a real fail in that. I'm curious what others may think. Indeed, the reason for it is that you can smooth the wrinkles, or add them, but the body of an older man just isn't carried the same way as that of a younger man.

When everyone returned from the movies last night I heard that a coming attraction was a new Harrison Ford version of Call Of The Wild, which I was told features a CGI dog. I think I'll pass on that.