Christmas Present

Reviews and commentary on books, films, etc.
Tom Muller
Society Member
Last Name: Muller

Friends,

it is Christmas time (well almost) and I'm looking for a decent book to read while we are snowed in. What would you suggest as a good read on US Cavalry during the Indian campaigns? I'm looking forward to your suggestions.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Tom
JV Puleo
Society Member

I don't see how you could get more information in a single book than from:

Arming and Equipping the US Cavalry, 1865 to 1902

by our own forum member, Dusan Farrington (Trooper)

Also - for sheer size you'll need several "snowed in" experiences to get through this book and as I live in New England I'm very familiar with looking out the window and saying "I'm not going anywhere today."

http://www.gunandswordcollector.com/Tem ... ngton.html

I know it is available from some European booksellers, so it may not be necessary to deal with the outrageous overseas shipping rates.
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

I'm currently enjoying The Last Stand by N. Philbrick. It's excellent.

Dusan's book is also excellent, I'd add.
Tom Muller
Society Member

Thanks guys! What about both books? I'll have to see if I can get Dusan's book here in Germany.

Tom
JV Puleo
Society Member

I am almost certain that Dusan's book is available in Germany. I will ask in the office who handles it and let you know.

(In the interest of full disclosure, I should add that I was the editor)
Tom Muller
Society Member

JV Puleo wrote:I am almost certain that Dusan's book is available in Germany. I will ask in the office who handles it and let you know.

(In the interest of full disclosure, I should add that I was the editor)

Thank you JV Puleo! I ordered it through amazon.com. The German book shops were much more expensive funny enough. I'll only receive it in February but the snow will last much longer and I'm really looking forward to the book. It will be a valuable addition of my library.

Tom
selewis
Society Member
Last Name: Lewis

Tom;

Here's one that falls in that time and place that might interest you:

"Black Jack Davidson, A Cavalry Commander on the Western Frontier. The Life of General John W. Davidson" by Homer K Davidson (grandson, Capt USN Ret.1919-1951) Arthur H Clark co., 1974

West Point; !st Dragoons; Commander 2nd cav, 10th cav. Served from 1845 to is death in 1881: Ft Leavenworth; Ft Riley; Ft Sill; Ft Custer; Ft Tejon, California; Ft Richardson, Texas- among others. He was with Kearney in California during the war with Mexico, ACW, numerous frontier outposts during the Indian wars era.

Footnotes. Bibliography. Fold out map. There were only 1,250 copies printed, but little demand so the price shouldn't be high. I see that I paid $30.00 for mine about five years ago at a book store in Covina, California.

Sandy
Tom Muller
Society Member

Sandy,

thanks for the hint. I managed to order it in the US, not too expensive (65 US Dollars). Have a happy festive season!

Tom
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Late Seasonal rerun.
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Pat Holscher wrote:Late Seasonal rerun.
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Seasonal rerun.
Tom Muller
Society Member

selewis wrote:Tom;

"Black Jack Davidson, A Cavalry Commander on the Western Frontier. The Life of General John W. Davidson" by Homer K Davidson (grandson, Capt USN Ret.1919-1951) Arthur H Clark co., 1974

West Point; !st Dragoons; Commander 2nd cav, 10th cav. Served from 1845 to is death in 1881: Ft Leavenworth; Ft Riley; Ft Sill; Ft Custer; Ft Tejon, California; Ft Richardson, Texas- among others. He was with Kearney in California during the war with Mexico, ACW, numerous frontier outposts during the Indian wars era.

Footnotes. Bibliography. Fold out map. There were only 1,250 copies printed, but little demand so the price shouldn't be high. I see that I paid $30.00 for mine about five years ago at a book store in Covina, California.

Sandy

Sandy,

this year I'll try to get West Point.

Cheers

Tom
selewis
Society Member
Last Name: Lewis

Tom Muller wrote:
selewis wrote:Tom;

Sandy

Sandy,

this year I'll try to get West Point.

Cheers

Tom
?