NWP Stock Saddle Accessories; Mounties basic load.

Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

G.KUSH.UE wrote: The MP carried their Winchester Model 1876 carbines (calibre .45/75 not .45/70)across the saddle "frontier" fashion. Contrary to Hollywood this method of carrying the rifle was the most popular method of carrying a long arm on the frontier, especially during the early years when hostile Indians were often encountered.

I have to laugh when I see all of these U.S. Cavalry reenactors charging around with carbine slings, boots, sockets, etc. The single most popular method of carrying the Springfield carbine in the field was directly in front of the pommel, crosswise.It beat heck out of the saddles but that's what they did. The regimetal saddlers made slings to fit the McClellan and when slings were not available the troopers would remove the snap hooks from the regulation sling and attach it to their waistbelts, shift them forward and snap on their carbines.
I was going to post it, and then got busy, and then forgot about it, but an article in the last issue of Montana magazine, written by a fellow who was a trapper in Montana in the late 19th Century, noted that he was taught by an older more experienced trapper to carry his rifle in this manner. He noted that he found it dangerous when riding through the woods, but then you had it handy if you needed it.

I guess I should note here that you can find quite a few interesting accounts written by trappers in the 1865 to 1920 time frame. It's widely assumed, and even repeated in pretty good histories, that trappers disappeared prior to the Civil War but that's simply untrue. Completely untrue, in fact. In spite of the oft repeated story about the "beaver disappearing", trappers didn't disappear at all, nor did the beaver. Trapping changed, however, in that the widely free ranging lifestyle they had before the Civil War slowly died out. By the early 20th Century they tended to operate in smaller ranges. Having said that, there were still full time trappers in the US at least up until WWI, and in Canada beyond that.
Hobie
Last Name: .

And here is a photo (from the Library of Congress) of a later period. The rifle may be a Ross (I think) or Pattern 1914.

"Royal Canadian northwest mounted policemen on horseback, Dawson, Yukon Territory, Canada" ca 1917
Hobie
Last Name: .

"N.W. Mounted Police scouts, Macleod, N.W.T" ca 1917

It appears, but I can't tell for certain even in the TIFF version, that the two horsemen on the left are carrying the 1876 carbine...
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Hobie wrote:And here is a photo (from the Library of Congress) of a later period. The rifle may be a Ross (I think) or Pattern 1914.

"Royal Canadian northwest mounted policemen on horseback, Dawson, Yukon Territory, Canada" ca 1917
That photo is the subject of an old thread up here somewhere. Here's a smaller version:
Pat Holscher wrote:From an old thread, posted in comparison to the one above:
Pat Holscher wrote:This photo is represented as being taken in Dawson, YT in 1917. Interesting details.

Pat
The rifle is a Ross. According to Sharps The Rifle In America, the Winchester 76 remained the RCMP rifle up until about 1914, at which time the 1876 had been out of production for about 12 years. At least to some extent, the RCMP must have picked up the Ross, but if it was before or after the Canadian Army abandoned it, and for how long they used it, I don't know. The old thread on this photo might detail that, and if I can locate it, I'll bump it up.
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Hobie wrote:"N.W. Mounted Police scouts, Macleod, N.W.T" ca 1917

It appears, but I can't tell for certain even in the TIFF version, that the two horsemen on the left are carrying the 1876 carbine...
Neat photo! Interesting to realize that this photo is a 1917 photo, when it looks like something from a couple of decades prior.
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Bumped up due to related thread.
Pat Holscher
Society Member

Bumped up due to related thread.
Kentucky Horseman
Last Name: Rudolph

I agree that is very interesting (there mission and working alone seems like how history has viewed the Texas Rangers and the AZ rangers more than the US Cavalry.) and I will disagree slightly about the Winchester not making a good military rifle, since the Turks used them to defeat the Russians in at least one battle. The war department has a problem with Oliver Winchester and some shirts he sold them during the last war and wouldn't touch anything with his name on it, plus mostly likely the cost of the rifle and the old story that troopers will waste ammo with a repeater. But getting back to the 1876 I wonder if part of choice to use that rifle and round, had to do with the threat of wildlife like wolves and grizzly bears.
Anulf
Last Name: Kunst

In the early part of this post it mentions the Mounties using "buckboard" wagons for their patrols. It has been too many years now but I recall reading some reports of the day. It seemed the NWMP command had no confidence in the riding ability of the new recruits. I gather that Sam Steele was no longer their riding instructor and no attempt was made to replace him. It seems they felt it safer to have their patrols in wagons. It was also more "cost effective" as several Constables could be transported with fewer horses.

The NWMP tried to alleviate the shortage of horses in the later 1870s when they started their own horse ranch at Pincher Creek. In the early 1880s they contracted the ranch out to civilians (Jack Stewart and Jim Christy) but by the end of the 1880s they felt there were more than enough ranchers and homesteaders they could buy stock off of so the ranch was closed.

There are so many stories of the early NWMP being caught out on the Prairie in a March snowstorm and taking refuge under their overturned wagon box until the storm broke.