Washington D. C. Hunt, December 4, 1920

A forum for general topics and questions.
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

service-pnp-npcc-03000-03089v.jpg
service-pnp-npcc-03000-03089v.jpg (166.37 KiB) Viewed 2944 times
Washington D. C. Hunt, December 4, 1920
Philip S
Society Member
Last Name: Sauerlender

Prior to WW2 Washington was a small southern city. FL Ave was basically the city limits with rural land beyond. Many gov workers and army officers had estates nearby and took a short commute to work. Across the Potomac River, Arlington was very rural. Generals Patton and Marshall rode horses together in the morning.
Philip S
Society Member

Wash Hunt Club.jpg
Wash Hunt Club.jpg (40.14 KiB) Viewed 2929 times
This hunt club was located on the edge of the city near Embassy Row and on P Street between Dupont Circle and Georgetown.
Philip S
Society Member

Many years ago a girl friend and I shared our first horseback experience riding in Rock Creek Park. I was sore for days!
You can still do this:
https://rockcreekhorsecenter.com/
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Philip S wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:18 pm Many years ago a girl friend and I shared our first horseback experience riding in Rock Creek Park. I was sore for days!
You can still do this:
https://rockcreekhorsecenter.com/
That brings back a recollection of when my wife and I were dating. We were gathering cattle and I was riding with her father and looked up and saw her riding down a steep rocky slope at fairly high speed in a manner I knew I never could. It put me in my place, really, but in a way that I still cherish.
selewis
Society Member
Last Name: Lewis

My father worked for a defense contractor that had a small office in the nation’s capitol and for two years, ’62-’64 we lived in Falls Church, Virginia. I remembered it as a rural area where we fished, hunted, rode horses, and enjoyed what seemed to be a generally bucolic lifestyle. So, when my wife and I visited there in 1986 I was more than a little bit amazed to find that we were only minutes from Washington D.C.

Sandy
Joseph Sullivan
Society Member
Last Name: Sullivan

I, too had a girlfriend experience on horseback in Rock Creek Park. M family lived in DC for a time, and I went back at times to visit friends after heading to Texas for school. In Texas I spent a lot of time on horseback. So, when I asked an old friend on a date, a ride in the park seemed just the ticket.

The stable was crowded with hopeful riders. The wrangler was down to his last few. he asked if anyone remaining knew how to ride. Foolishly I said I did. He gave me "Charlie," an ugly, iron-mouthed, ill-natured animal, of which my girlfriend's mount was deathly afraid. I couldn't get within 10 ft of Leslie for the whole two hours.

We were old friends; this was not a first date, so we thought it funny and went on with life. Sure wasn't what we'd expected, though.