November 11, 1918-2018

A forum for general topics and questions.
Pat Holscher
Website Admin
Last Name: Holscher

Society Member

Donor Palm Leaf

If anyone happens to attend anything commemorating the end of the Great War, share photos (please).

Nothing of note happening around here, mind you. But I'm sure things are happening elsewhere.

Pat

Animadvertistine, ubicumque stes, fumum recta in faciem ferri?
Pat Holscher
Website Admin

Society Member

Donor Palm Leaf

IMG_5773.JPG
IMG_5773.JPG (769.83 KiB) Viewed 1864 times
Photo taken yesterday by a family member in Paris (not by me, I'm not in Paris).
Pat

Kurt Hughes
Society Member

Society Member

Donation 7th

Attended Remembrance Ceremony in our village today as we do every year, sorry no photos. Most towns, cities and villages have a memorial to those lost in both World Wars. Tonight in the next village along they are joining other villages across the UK in the lighting of a beacon and a remembrance service for those who served in the Great War.
Of interest earlier in August this year in our small village we had a service where they unveiled a War Horse memorial to commemorate 100 years since the end of World War One. It is dedicated to those Men, Women and Animals that died in the Great War. The silhouette is attached to the village pub wall.
The silhouette is a copy of the bronze sculpture unveiled at Ascot Racecourse in June this year to remember the part Mules, Horses and Donkeys played in WW1.
IMG_6043a.jpg
IMG_6043a.jpg (119.02 KiB) Viewed 1859 times

On a related subject anyone who has the opportunity to view Peter Jackson's 'They Shall Not Grow Old' I can highly recommend it the film is quite magical, fortunately for those in the UK it is being shown on the BBC tonight.
Last edited by Kurt Hughes on Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kurt Hughes
Society Member

Society Member

Donation 7th

IMG_6044a.jpg
IMG_6044a.jpg (96.98 KiB) Viewed 1853 times
Kurt Hughes
Society Member

Society Member

Donation 7th

IMG_6042a.jpg
IMG_6042a.jpg (96.83 KiB) Viewed 1851 times
Trooper
Society Member
Last Name: Farrington

Society Member

Donor Palm Leaf

I have just watched Peter Jackson's 'They Shall Not Grow Old', and can only second Kurt's recommendation - it is the best film on WW1 I have ever seen. The colorization and frame stabilization (or whatever that is called) are magical and lend new life to many of those clips we have seen before and some that I hadn't. Well worth making an effort to see.
Dušan
Ralph Lovett
Society Member
Last Name: Lovett

Society Member

Denise and I attended the 116th Infantry Regimental Muster in Staunton, VA and had a late breakfast with friends in the 116th INF Brigade on 11 NOV at 11:00. Then visited the 116th Regimental Museum in Verona, VA. Two months ago, I led the 29th Division's Staff Ride in France on the terrain taken by 116th INF REGT in Phase Two of the Meuse-Argonne Offensive so the Centennial Muster with the 116th was the perfect way to celebrate the end of WW1.
Attachments
116_REGT_Muster_10_NOV_2018b.jpg
116_REGT_Muster_10_NOV_2018b.jpg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 1826 times
Todd
Website Admin
Last Name: Holmes

Society Member

Donor Palm Leaf

Content Author

Liberty Memorial and WW1 Museum took advantage of their monumental presence and had this running -

https://fox4kc.com/2018/11/02/liberty-m ... ar-is-end/
Pat Holscher
Website Admin

Society Member

Donor Palm Leaf

The one place that I hoped to hear it mentioned here locally on the 11th, I didn't. But there was an event here, to my surprise, in which our recently re-elected U.S. Senator appeared, which was in commemoration of the end of the World War One fighting. And the local veteran's museum and the frontier era historical site with a museum has been observing the anniversary all year long. I guess a local house that's a museum of that vintage also did a home front exhibit.

In public observations, while I don't mean to grouse excessively, World War Two predominates. It has since the 1980s really when the Baby Boomers changed their minds about their parents. I've been looking into the Great War quite a bit this past year and so it's been on my mind, and it seems like it should be more noted.
Pat

Pat Holscher
Website Admin

Society Member

Donor Palm Leaf

Kurt Hughes wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:43 pm
On a related subject anyone who has the opportunity to view Peter Jackson's 'They Shall Not Grow Old' I can highly recommend it the film is quite magical, fortunately for those in the UK it is being shown on the BBC tonight.
I'd really like to see this documentary. I guess it's touring the U.S., but nowhere near here.
Pat