CW Artillery standard buckles

A forum for general topics and questions.
Philip S
Society Member
Last Name: Sauerlender

The Allegheny Arsenal in Pittsburgh made a large variety of items for the army in the Civil War. The Allegheny County Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall has on display a box containing the standard for Artillery buckles.
https://soldiersandsailorshall.org/
Attachments
buckle standard.jpg
buckle standard.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 3633 times
Joseph Sullivan
Society Member
Last Name: Sullivan

You know, I have a couple of old pieces of tack with buckles like that. I've never been sure they were military, but maybe they are.
Todd
Society Member
Last Name: Holmes

A curious display - I have photos of older dragoon buckles that were made with stamped brass shells for the outer surface, 'lined' with iron wire, and filled with lead. This is just the next step, by brass-plating the visible areas.

A perfect example of when labor/time was worth less than a little extra copper alloy.
Joseph Sullivan
Society Member
Last Name: Sullivan

I need to dig up the couple of items I have and send pix. I had long thought they might be dragoon, but then I saw more dragoon stuff with what looked more like horseshoe shaped wire buckles -- without the flats and bevels.
Todd
Society Member

Joseph Sullivan wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:28 pm I need to dig up the couple of items I have and send pix. I had long thought they might be dragoon, but then I saw more dragoon stuff with what looked more like horseshoe shaped wire buckles -- without the flats and bevels.
Sounds interesting. From looking at letters and the bits of ordnance descriptions available, the whole 'brass' thing seems to have developed over time. The earliest dragoon headgear (1830s) was mostly commercially available items, and regular iron horseshoe/heel buckles were common.
Todd
Society Member

Just noticed - but the printing on the buckle case is very specific....

U.S. Artillery Harness
Model of 1863
Todd
Society Member

This makes sense - there was an Ordnance Board, that finalized their proceedings September 28, 1863. Of the numerous questions posed to it, the "fifth question" was alterations to artillery harness, thereafter referred to for some time as the "new model artillery harness". Here's a snippet:
sept281863_ordbrd_5thquestion.jpg
sept281863_ordbrd_5thquestion.jpg (122.52 KiB) Viewed 3300 times

"arsenals of construction".... hmm...to the tune of "eve of destruction"?
Trooper
Society Member
Last Name: Farrington

Are the proceedings of the Ordnance Board from which you have posted an extract available online?
Thanks for any help with this.
Todd
Society Member

Trooper wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:13 pm Are the proceedings of the Ordnance Board from which you have posted an extract available online?
Thanks for any help with this.
Yep! I'll dig it up tonight and send you. Great detail on some stuff, ho hum on others. All the arty stuff was done by Capt. Geo. Balch....terribly interesting guy in his own right.
Trooper
Society Member
Last Name: Farrington

Many Thanks.
I have come across then Lt. Balch as Ordnance Officer for Harney's Sioux Expedition of 1855.
He seems to have had a good career.