The South African Defence Force and Horse Mounted Infantry Operations, 1974 - 1985

Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Todd
Society Member
Last Name: Holmes

Hit the first couple of pages, awesome read so far - will have to come back and pore over it in detail! :thumbup:
roy elderkin
Society Member
Last Name: elderkin

A very good article, we sent 2 Men from Grey's to Potchefstrom. Sgt Greyling and Sgt Rob Early, to see if we were on par with SADF Mounted Infantry. We were and of course we borrowed ideas from them and they from us, although they did not use the Mac, they had their own saddle set up. We had one of their Officers with us for a while Capt Pip Erasmus. But it was a great set up, and their work in Namibia was very effective.
Couvi
Society Member

Excellent reading. :thumbup:
Kentucky Horseman
Last Name: Rudolph

Great read, What are some other good books on that subject. I saw the units histories in the source list and Sandra Swart, Riding High: Horses, History and Humans in South Africa.
Anulf
Last Name: Kunst

I just got my copy of what seems to be a pretty definitive history of The Grey's Scouts:

http://www.amazon.com/Equus-Men-Rhodesi ... +equus+men

It talks about the liaison with the South African Defence Force among other things. Lots of good photos too.

I am only about halfway through the book at the moment but one thing I have noticed is the constant referrals to horses bolting at the first sound of gunfire, say at being ambushed or initiating an ambush. There was even a punishment for "losing" your horse and gear while on patrol.

It mentions the drill of dismounting and "tethering" the horse. I was wondering what...they tethered their horse to? I also notice there is no mention of "horse handlers" as in WWI. One man out of each half section was a designated horse handler. You've all seen the "Lighthorsemen". When contact is initiated, the troopers dismount and hand over their lead ropes to one man from the half section. I realize that for every section this would take two men out of the fight but to me, this is made up by...not...losing your mounts. A Mounted Infantryman without his horse is a liability one would think.

I wonder if the Grey's ever experimented with this? So far it is not mentioned in this excellent book.
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Anulf wrote:I just got my copy of what seems to be a pretty definitive history of The Grey's Scouts:

http://www.amazon.com/Equus-Men-Rhodesi ... +equus+men

It talks about the liaison with the South African Defence Force among other things. Lots of good photos too.

I am only about halfway through the book at the moment but one thing I have noticed is the constant referrals to horses bolting at the first sound of gunfire, say at being ambushed or initiating an ambush. There was even a punishment for "losing" your horse and gear while on patrol.

It mentions the drill of dismounting and "tethering" the horse. I was wondering what...they tethered their horse to? I also notice there is no mention of "horse handlers" as in WWI. One man out of each half section was a designated horse handler. You've all seen the "Lighthorsemen". When contact is initiated, the troopers dismount and hand over their lead ropes to one man from the half section. I realize that for every section this would take two men out of the fight but to me, this is made up by...not...losing your mounts. A Mounted Infantryman without his horse is a liability one would think.

I wonder if the Grey's ever experimented with this? So far it is not mentioned in this excellent book.
We have a thread up on that book in the reviews. Would you care to add to it?

I've been meaning to get the book, but I'll note that the price is really stout for a US books, which will certainly depress its sales here.