Mounted Potii, PMs, et al

selewis
Society Member
Last Name: Lewis

I thought we already had a thread devoted to American presidents who rode but couldn't find it. Perhaps it was buried in another topic.

Here is a short passage from William H. Seward's biography of John Quincy Adams:

"When in the Presidency, he sometimes made a journey from Washington to Quincy on horseback, as a simple citizen, accompanied only by a servant."

Adams was in his fifties at the time.
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

selewis wrote:I thought we already had a thread devoted to American presidents who rode but couldn't find it. Perhaps it was buried in another topic.

Here is a short passage from William H. Seward's biography of John Quincy Adams:

"When in the Presidency, he sometimes made a journey from Washington to Quincy on horseback, as a simple citizen, accompanied only by a servant."

Adams was in his fifties at the time.
His father was quite the rider, and is actually known to have purchased a horse that appeared to be difficult in his 80s.
Steve Haupt
Last Name: Haupt

Found this on the US Archives blog
http://blogs.archives.gov/prologue/?p=7739

Also in looking through the Truman Library online archive there was a report of when Truman was in France with the artillery he had to send two six horse teams to move the cannons through the mud. That was a lot of power so the conditions must have been abysmal.

Wasn't it a member that wrote a while back that we now need a U S President that rode?
Cheers,
Steve Haupt
Where here in California we got the first rain since March :D (3/4 of an inch :clap: ).
Kentucky Horseman
Last Name: Rudolph

According to somethings that I have read that the code word the Secret Service used for Reagan was rawhide, since he loved to ride.