Photos of U.S. Remont Depot 7, France

Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Tom Muller
Society Member
Last Name: Muller

Interesting stuff, thanks Pat.

Is it just my impression or are the hay mangers too high? Was that intended,or just ignorance? Nowadays we know that it is bad for the horses back and neck having to lift the head high to feed.

Tom
Steve Haupt
Last Name: Haupt

Tom,
The racks held the hay above the mangers. The stock could reach up and pull it down taking what they needed. This kept the feed fresh and allowed once a day or every other day restocking of the hay.
Many old feed barns of the West are still this way but then they were built in the same time.
Cheers,
Steve Haupt
Tom Muller
Society Member
Last Name: Muller

Steve Haupt wrote:Tom,
The racks held the hay above the mangers. The stock could reach up and pull it down taking what they needed. This kept the feed fresh and allowed once a day or every other day restocking of the hay.
Many old feed barns of the West are still this way but then they were built in the same time.
Cheers,
Steve Haupt

Thanks Steve

Tom
mnhorse
Last Name: Resseman

Most interesting.
Any idea why the US Expeditionary Force was still shipping in horses after the Armistice?
There seemed to be some real "heavies" being processed, I didn't realize the Army bought them that large.
Seems like the horses would have been already branded prior to leaving the United States, if in fact, that is where they came from.
Richard
rayarthart
Last Name: Hartley

My great uncle took several boat loads of livestock, mainly horses overseas to Europe after WWI.