WWI Era Australian (British?) Artillery harness question

Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

I've read somewhere in the past that Australian artillery harness, in the WWI era, were designed such that they could be very quickly released if there was a need to free the horses from the load in an emergency. As most, maybe all, Australian military tack of the period was British, presumably this would actually be a British pattern.

Is this correct? If so, does somebody have a depiction of the tack, and can somebody describe how it works?
selewis
Society Member
Last Name: Lewis

About ten years ago one of our members posted a photo of a quick release device for artillery harness. I'm not sure if its the one you're referring to though. I'll see if I can find it.
Pat Holscher
Society Member

selewis wrote:About ten years ago one of our members posted a photo of a quick release device for artillery harness. I'm not sure if its the one you're referring to though. I'll see if I can find it.

That is it. If you can find that, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Pat Holscher
Society Member

I can't find that old thread, although like Sandy I know there was one. Anyhow, here's a 1916 article from the Field Artillery Journal that appear to discuss it, although I can't really get the details from the illustration.

http://books.google.com/books?id=g20mAQ ... ss&f=false
selewis
Society Member

release.jpg
release.jpg (93.34 KiB) Viewed 6383 times
selewis
Society Member

I wish I could give credit where it's due but I don't recall who posted this. I copied it to try and get a better view, without success, and it's been sitting in my photos ever since. Just luck.
Pat Holscher
Society Member

selewis wrote:I wish I could give credit where it's due but I don't recall who posted this. I copied it to try and get a better view, without success, and it's been sitting in my photos ever since. Just luck.
Any idea how it works?
roy elderkin
Society Member
Last Name: elderkin

Pat in response to you question this is a photo of Brit harness I have highlighted the coupling between the trace and breast collar. I hope it helps. The picture was too large so have posted it on my face book page. So you can take it off there.
roy elderkin
Society Member

Pat The Australian harness and the British harness are the same pattern. I was trying to explain, that at the end on the trace there is piece of shackle which is shaped like a bent D, on the breast collar is another shackle the eye that the D piece fits into. A short leather strap, attached to the breast collar goes through the D locking the two together, to unhook pull the strap back and the trace falls away [quick release]. I hope you can understand this the picture I tried to put up, explains it better.
jan
Society Member

Here is a photo showing the short leather strap and the quick release. (It is from a serie of photos, with some uniformed figurants, I took two years ago showing part of the harness that was loaned out by the Brussels army museum.)

regards,
Jan
roy elderkin
Society Member

Great photo thanks Jan, there is a slight variation between the British Army harness, and the Belgium one. The breast collar Brit Army is wider but in all other things the same. But that is the quick release, correct me if I am wrong but looks like a standard set harness across most army's during WW1.
jan
Society Member

This is a not a Belgian variation, the Belgian army never used the British style harness, it is a British made one that came some 30 years ago to the museum, it is a complete 6 horse set in two metal transport boxes.
Because it is brand new, it can now be used has a back up set for the 1914 commemorations this year. I had the opportunity to borrow it for a few days to check it out and made some photos around it.
For the commemorations there will be at least two new made six horse team sets of the Belgian Doumont harness.

regards,
Jan
Last edited by jan on Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
roy elderkin
Society Member

Thanks Jan I stand corrected, although I still think the breast collar is narrower than the ones I have used, and I have used and worked on a lot of harness. Being formally with the Kings Troop RHA.
jan
Society Member

Roy, here is part of the harness set, it was the first time ever I fitted one, also for Ludie it was the first time she had such a complete harness on.

Regards,
Jan
roy elderkin
Society Member

Not a problem Jan,the only thing that I can see is that quick release strap is round the wrong way and should be facing towards the rear, good to see the harness hung up properly on the rear and not trailing. When you un boxed the set, did you come across two alloy boat shaped tins, we referred to them as fish tins, these are for the wheelers and fit on top of the horses neck at the withers. They support the harness and pole bar support straps. Good luck with your endeavours Jan.
roy elderkin
Society Member

Jan I have a feeling that this is a wheeler's harness set.
Pat Holscher
Society Member

roy elderkin wrote:Pat The Australian harness and the British harness are the same pattern. I was trying to explain, that at the end on the trace there is piece of shackle which is shaped like a bent D, on the breast collar is another shackle the eye that the D piece fits into. A short leather strap, attached to the breast collar goes through the D locking the two together, to unhook pull the strap back and the trace falls away [quick release]. I hope you can understand this the picture I tried to put up, explains it better.
Attachments
1925352_515731848539491_1613606420_n.jpg
1925352_515731848539491_1613606420_n.jpg (62.33 KiB) Viewed 6325 times
Pat Holscher
Society Member

jan
Society Member

Roy, thanks for the observation, good to know. These alloy tins were not with the harness set, at the moment the harness is stored in an army caserne near Antwerp.
Yes the set on the photo is indeed for the near side wheeler.

Here are some recent photos of the Kings Troop, taken last year during a visit of a Belgian delegation.

browerpatch
Society Member
Last Name: Brower

jan wrote: Here are some recent photos of the Kings Troop, taken last year during a visit of a Belgian delegation.

Good shot of the driver's leg guard.

Frank