Radar guided anti-tank donkey?

Couvi
Society Member

Society Member

Donation 5th

Content Author

Pat,<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pat Holscher</i>
<br />Speaking of demented, based on recent tours of the "History" channel, I'm reasonable certain that if we submitted this photo to the History Channel, we'd learn that while we think it depicts a Luftwaffe paratrooper with a panzerfaust and donkey, that actually it depicts a secret USAF program in Newark, in which aliens caputured by the USAF, the State Department, and mail order department of J. C. Penny's, are secretly examined. Here we see one such alien, we'd be informed (note the long head, and the spooky lanky limbs) who is seen wearing his Blast Pack. His USAF guard, we'd be told, is secretly disguised as a WWII German Luftwaffe member, so as to be mistaken, by passerbys, for a member of the White Sands Missle Fun Club.

All this, the narrator and guests would tell us, was kept super secret by the government, even though the same government couldn't even keep all the details of the atomic bomb secret. They were able to do this over successive administrations because it's not only secret, but Super Duper Secret.

Pat
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">We have a building we call Area 51 because we are not really sure what is in there. You would be amazed at the tales that come from that. Add to that the mischief makers telling people, <i>“I can neither confirm nor deny that,”</i> or just outright lies for the edification of the naïve and gullible.

We also have a freezer that freezes to -15° to kill insects without putting dangerous chemicals on the artifacts. I am regularly shocked by what legend says I have stored in there.

Couvi

<i>"Cavalier sans Cheval"</i>

browerpatch
Society Member
Last Name: Brower

Society Member

Say, Couvi,
That brief foray into the realm of reality didn't last long, did it? Ah, well, it's a bit more interesting on this side of the line, anyway.

By the way, how many hundreds of sets of CW accoutrements, how much SpanAm, WWI, WWII, stuff, and assorted Mac's, Grimsleys, and such do y'all still have in storage there at the depot, ready for issue, and when can we expect it all to be declared surplus? I'd bet you even have a captured PfSEF Mk I that you can't tell us about, don't you?

Frank
Couvi
Society Member

Society Member

Donation 5th

Content Author

Frank,<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by browerpatch</i>
<br />Say, Couvi,
That brief foray into the realm of reality didn't last long, did it? Ah, well, it's a bit more interesting on this side of the line, anyway.

By the way, how many hundreds of sets of CW accoutrements, how much SpanAm, WWI, WWII, stuff, and assorted Mac's, Grimsleys, and such do y'all still have in storage there at the depot, ready for issue, and when can we expect it all to be declared surplus? I'd bet you even have a captured PfSEF Mk I that you can't tell us about, don't you?

Frank
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I can neither confirm nor deny that!

Couvi

bisley45
Society Member

Society Member

I'd bet you even have a captured PfSEF Mk I that you can't tell us about, don't you?

Yes, he does. when I was htere with Jim Morrison, Jackie Gleason and Buddy Holly, we got to see it up close. The donkey looked mighty skinny, though.

Bisley 45

"Evidently, Mr. Ringo's an educated man. Now I really hate him."
bisley45
Society Member

Society Member

............so.........did the donkey jump from Junkers bomber, or wa sbe blasted into the fray via a special Krupp cannon donkey-bearing sabot round?

If he was fed and watered before deployment, he might continue to "strafe" long after the Panzerfaust was fired.

Bisley 45

Pat Holscher
Website Admin
Last Name: Holscher

Society Member

Donor Palm Leaf

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bisley45</i>
<br />............so.........did the donkey jump from Junkers bomber, or wa sbe blasted into the fray via a special Krupp cannon donkey-bearing sabot round?

If he was fed and watered before deployment, he might continue to "strafe" long after the Panzerfaust was fired.

Bisley 45

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Oh, as a Luftwaffe project, we have to assume that the donkey was delivered by means of a special German jet transport aircraft, the existence of which was known only to the OSS, and the editorial staff of the History Channel. While many would presume that the talent and energy to develop jet aircart would have been devoted, late in the war, to jet fighters in order to knock out Allied bombers, in fact a secret German factory was set up by Herman Goering under an Rennaissance art dealer and pastry shop (as seen on the HC's The Secret of Goering's Bismarks). In between looting European masters, and sampling the Krollers, he supervised the construction of a flying wing donkey delivering jet aircrat, the Dornier Donkey Dropper (or, by official designation, the Dornier Panzerfaustsattelfureselfurfalshmirjagermiteselundsoldatflugzug, or, the Bazooka saddle for donkey for paratrooper with donkey and soldier airplane (or the Do. PfSEFmEJuSF 161).

Of course, the whole project fell into the hands of the OSS, which later turned it over to the CIA. The advance technology was later used for the stealth swivel chair, which is presently used by people at the Department of Motor Vehicles, who can only be seen when they are not in.

Pat

PS. The whole thing will soon be a special on the HC, "Really Scary Weapons the Germans Weren't Even Close To Making, but if the war had lasted another 35 years, they might have".

PSS. Couvi has the sole surviving Dornier Donkey Dropper. But its classified as Super Duper Secret, and he can't tell. Indeed, if you ask, he'll deny the very existance of such a thing, which proves he has it.
patbailey

I believe I have solved the mystery of the sawhorses. They are not stabilizers for firing, nor are they for loading the weapon. The donkey was obviously designed for glider landings, as it would be too heavy for dropping with a normal parachute, and the sawhorses were designed to secure the donkey in the glider until the landing was completed. The photo appears to have been taken just before the supports, known as Kampfpferdekippsicherungen (battle horse stabilizers), were removed following the deployment of the weapon from the glider. They were originally developed as an aid to be used with draft horses, which carried the nebelwerfer heavy rocket launcher, and were to be used in the airborne invasion of England in 1940. Unfortunately, the Me323 Gigant glider which would have carried these awesome weapons, had too many early design flaws, which ultimately caused the project (and the invasion) to be cancelled. The stabilizers were then used with the smaller system shown in the photo, for the same purpose.

As an aside, the Luftwaffe developed a Distinguished Donkey Handler Badge, which was awarded much the same as the Distinguished Pigeon Handler Badge had been during the First World War. No awards of the Knight's Cross have been confirmed to members of this elite unit.

It is impossible to have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.- R. Kipling
Todd
Website Admin
Last Name: Holmes

Society Member

Donor Palm Leaf

Content Author

"It is impossible to have too much red wine..."

I'm starting to wonder about that.[:sil]

Todd
mattbody

I think after this lot all of you qualify for the nut job thread! A good laugh though, keep it up chaps!

Matt
deddygetty

The Italians bringing in reenforcements?

Don't attract gunfire. It irritates the people around you.
Pat Holscher
Website Admin

Society Member

Donor Palm Leaf

Great photo. Given as that photo has a URL, do we have permission to upload it here?

I wonder what the story behind that photo is?

Pat
Trooper
Society Member
Last Name: Farrington

Society Member

Donor Palm Leaf

"Dog bites man is not news..."

Dušan
Pat Holscher
Website Admin

Society Member

Donor Palm Leaf

The donkey, I must say, appears to be enjoying the ride.

Pat
deddygetty

This is the only thing I could find on their site about copyright:

Disclaimer: We do our best to avoid copyrighted material. If anything on this site has been copyrighted by you, please contact us so we can remove it or give you credit!

Pat Holscher
Website Admin

Society Member

Donor Palm Leaf

I wonder if that photo was in Libyia. The person in front appears to be in North African dress.

Pat
deddygetty

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pat Holscher</i>
<br />The donkey, I must say, appears to be enjoying the ride.

Pat

Like anointing the virgin with scented oils before throwing her in the volcano. [xx(]

Couvi
Society Member

Society Member

Donation 5th

Content Author

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pat Holscher</i>
<br />I wonder if that photo was in Libyia. The person in front appears to be in North African dress.

Pat
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I was thinking Algeria/Morocco.

Couvi

george seal
Past Society Member
Past Society Member

Society Member

Inactive Society Member

<br />It'd be nice to know what the heck that depicts. It appears to be a Panzerfaust, but what's going on with the rest of that I really wonder.

The Germans did experiment, fwiw, with using dogs armed with mines against tanks. The experimient didn't work, as the dogs were trained by feeding them under tanks. As the Germans trained them, they trained them under German tanks, which is where the mine armed dogs would go when released in the field.

I'm not suggesting, by the way, that this was an effort to get a donnkey to use a Panzerfaust. I just have no idea what this is, other than a Panzerfaust with blast plate underneath a donkey.

Pat

I had the impression it was the Russians who used anti tank dogs. The dogs indeed tended to run under familiar tanks. Also the germans got used to killing any stray dog they could find in the Eastern Front so getting dogs was a problem.
Pat Holscher
Website Admin

Society Member

Donor Palm Leaf

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by george seal</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pat Holscher</i>
<br />It'd be nice to know what the heck that depicts. It appears to be a Panzerfaust, but what's going on with the rest of that I really wonder.

The Germans did experiment, fwiw, with using dogs armed with mines against tanks. The experimient didn't work, as the dogs were trained by feeding them under tanks. As the Germans trained them, they trained them under German tanks, which is where the mine armed dogs would go when released in the field.

I'm not suggesting, by the way, that this was an effort to get a donnkey to use a Panzerfaust. I just have no idea what this is, other than a Panzerfaust with blast plate underneath a donkey.

Pat

I had the impression it was the Russians who used anti tank dogs. The dogs indeed tended to run under familiar tanks. Also the germans got used to killing any stray dog they could find in the Eastern Front so getting dogs was a problem.

You are absolutely correct. Indeed, Fox, another participant here, emailed me on that.

Pat
deddygetty

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by george seal</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pat Holscher</i>

Pat

My dad's WW II outfit, the 99th Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop, "captured" a black German Shephard from an SS unit, complete with skull and crossbones on the collar, during the Ruhr Pocket campaign. They named the dog Sgt. Nero and kept him till well after the end of the war. The last members of the troop to leave Gerolzhofen recalled Sgt. Nero chasing the train for several miles before they lost sight of him. There are stories in the 99th Recon history about Sgt. Nero and "missions" he was involved in. This picture was taken in front of the troops headquarters in Gerolzhofen, where they were guarding prisoners after the war.