Vicker MMG saddlery

Tom Ready

Since the wife, entirely off her own bat and for reasons unknown, has bought me a deactivated 1941 Aussie Vickers and tripod I am now looking for the bits of PMG relating to this gun. All we have so far is a couple of models of spade cover.

If any one has any they are willing to part with or knows of sources could they please get in touch. Also, if any one has info on this rig beyond the VAOS stuff I helped circulate I would be profoundly grateful to see it.

All the very best

Tom

tombear@btopenworld.com

Pat Holscher
Website Admin
Last Name: Holscher

Society Member

Donor Palm Leaf

Tom, have you contacted the firm "Gun Parts" in the US? Another one you may want to contact is International Military Antiques, which often has an odd assortment of anitque stuff, not all of which they actual can identify. Finally, Century Arms in the US often has large quantities of material, only a fraction of which they commercially sell in the US.

I can look for URLs for these later.

Pat
Tom Ready

Cheers Pat!
I suspect that theres still lots of this stuff around unidentified, not "real" tack so won't be a big seller like say bridles would be or parts of UPS but obviously for "something" and interesting so won't be thrown away.

Most of the bits we have found have been from sources that knew it was saddlery but not what it was for. Hence we have been lucky and got most for a few pounds or had it dumped on us.

ATB

Tom
Pat Holscher
Website Admin

Society Member

Donor Palm Leaf

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tom Ready</i>
<br />Cheers Pat!
I suspect that theres still lots of this stuff around unidentified, not "real" tack so won't be a big seller like say bridles would be or parts of UPS but obviously for "something" and interesting so won't be thrown away.

Most of the bits we have found have been from sources that knew it was saddlery but not what it was for. Hence we have been lucky and got most for a few pounds or had it dumped on us.

ATB

Tom
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Indeed, I once had a conversation with somebody at IMA about the bits they were selling. They were German military bits, which dated from 1945 on back. It was clear that tney didn't have the slightest idea what they were actually selling.

Likewise, Deutsche Optik occasionally sells Swiss tack. For some reason I once emailed them about other tack they might have, to see if they might have saddles, etc. They replied they could get nearly everything, but sort of charactrized it as stuff, and indicated you'd have to order a lot of stuff to make it worthwhile for them to get stuff. Sort of like ordering a pack troop and all its tack.

Pat
Reese Williams
Last Name: Williams

Some folks have all the luck.

Take a look here http://www.vickersmachinegun.org.uk/ good info on the pack setup under Transport
Tom Ready

Cheers!
I'll see if Rich has any real bits in his amazing collection to share pics of.

I'll have to see if herself will consider thining out her PA bits to concentrate on PGS!

All the best

Tom
Pat Holscher
Website Admin

Society Member

Donor Palm Leaf

Bump.
Pat

Animadvertistine, ubicumque stes, fumum recta in faciem ferri?