Hotchkiss Pack Saddlery (large images)

Tom Ready

Hi Folks
due to the builders still being on site etc etc I haven't been able to process any more of the info harvested from the Pattern Room.

However, I will be picking up a deactivated Hotchkiss Portative Mk I* on Saturday. Unfortunately it has the steel butt for armoured vehicle use so I am in search of a wooden butt assembly (well, anything to do with the Portative is of interest) to make it look like a cavalry version.

If anyone knows where there are any Portative bits to be had could they please get in touch.

All the best

Tom

Fromelles

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
There was a bandolier (I will ask a mate for pics of his) for the gunner which took the smaller sized (10 round) strips/clips in six pockets and had a tube to carry a hand extractor LoC 18393.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Tom,

Great pics. I'm most interested in knowing what the hand extractor looks like as I have a Hotchkiss bandolier. Do you have any photos of the item?

Cheers
Dan
Tom Ready

Hi Dan
drop us a line at home
tombear@btopenworld.com
and I will dig out and wire you a pic.

ATB

Tom
Trooper
Society Member
Last Name: Farrington

Society Member

Donor Palm Leaf

Don't know if this is as advertised or if it is of interest, but here it is anyway:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-British-Cavalr ... dZViewItem

Dušan
Tom Ready

Hi!
yup thats the tripod for the Hotchkiss, thankfully my Portative came with one (£600 the hole lot) as that seams a bit steep.

I've been told the carrying handle on mine is a later, Turkish edition so I'll be losing that when it gets cosmetically restored.

I'm at the Library again on the 26th of May and hope to get copies of the drawings for the wooden, cavalry, butt and possibly the bipod that was used when it first came into service.

ATB

Tom
Trooper
Society Member

Society Member

Donor Palm Leaf

Mag pouch of some description:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bren-Madsen-Leather ... dZViewItem

Dušan
Pat Holscher
Website Admin
Last Name: Holscher

Society Member

Donor Palm Leaf

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Trooper</i>
<br />Mag pouch of some description:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bren-Madsen-Leather ... dZViewItem

Dušan
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I'm glad you put this back up, as I'd forgotten about it.

Relating this to the Canadian cavalry movies, and looking at hte first photo in this thread, doesn't this lmg appear to be the same one in those films, simply carried in a different fashion.

Pat
Timbo in Oz

Hi to all,

I ahve posted a request on the general topics forum asking for tactics / use information about the

Benet mercie /

Hotchkiss LMG Mk1 in service during ww1 and after in

British, Indian, Australian Light Horse, USCavalry, french, service.

I also posted some background on me, which missed that I qualified as marksman/coach at the Infantry Center here in the 1970's.

Timbo in Oz
Tom Ready

Hi Timbo
if they would be any use to you I have scanned in 7 different manuals for the Hotchkiss Portative (plus a file of amendments)

I've also just finished scanning in and labelling 173 jpgs of List of Changes entries for the Hotchkiss covering 1915 to when it went obsolete for UK forces in 1946. Theres bound to be the odd one I have missed and need to go back for but currently I am sick of the sight of them so going back and cross referancing them all is not happening this side of my holidays next week! ;-{D)

I also scanned in 246 jpgs of Lewis LoCs covering the same period, a bunch on PMG etc so it took quite a while. I've scanned in 22 Lewis manuals as well and some of these are WWI tactical pamphlets which may have bearing on the use of LMGs in general, like "Notes on the employment of Lewis Guns in the recent operations in Palestine" and "The tactical employment of Lewis Guns, Jan 1918" etc

Drop us a line at

tombear@btopenworld.com

all the best

Tom
Tom Ready

Just this day recieved seven DD(E) drawings of the wooden "cavalry" butt assembly for the Hotchkiss Portative Mk I* Not part of the series for some reason is the metal shoulder strap and mount that fits on the top rear of the butt. I've taken photos of this paart on the gun in the Warminster collection but does any one have one to measure/take dimensions?

ATB

Tom
Trooper
Society Member

Society Member

Donor Palm Leaf

Don't know if this is the right thread for this -
as I don't know what it is. Anyway:
http://cgi.ebay.com/LIGHT-HORSE-RIFLE-B ... dZViewItem

Dušan
Larry Emrick
Society Member
Last Name: Emrick

Society Member

I just finished reading Stand to Your Horses, an account of Lord Strathcona's Horse in the First World War, and was surprised to find a multitude of references to use of the Hotchkiss, including one instance in which the author fired on a German aircraft, with no apparent effect. If the reference to frequent "training on the Hotchkiss" was any indication it must have seen a lot of service - or at least a lot of training. As to the book itself it contains an almost daily account of names, dates, movements and so on but it is disappointing because it reveals so little of the small detail of kit,equipment, mounted tactics, care of horses, all the interesting stuff. There was one interesting reference to having to picket horses on a ground line without having pegs to stake our their hind feet, and the trouble that caused, but there is little of that. I got the feeling that the book was more a memorial to the Strathconas, and deservedly so, who would have known all to well the detail that is now lost to our generation. Larry
Pat Holscher
Website Admin

Society Member

Donor Palm Leaf

Bumped up due to related thread.

Pat
FtValleyPS
Society Member
Last Name: Nelson

Society Member

Donation 5th

Bumped again ....
John
Pat Holscher
Website Admin

Society Member

Donor Palm Leaf

Bump.
Pat

Animadvertistine, ubicumque stes, fumum recta in faciem ferri?