Question - How were WW1 picket ropes carried by Canadians?

A forum for general topics and questions.
Todd
Society Member
Last Name: Holmes

Received this question today - anyone?
I am currently filming a documentary on the WW1 Canadian Warhorses riding
from Amiens to Mons with two horses in full tack and would like to know how
the picket ropes (not pegs) were fixed to the saddle when riding.
Pat Holscher
Society Member
Last Name: Holscher

Seems like I may have seen that question before. I'll see if I can find the answer.

Is there any reason to suspect they'd have been carried in a different manner than British or Australian soldiers carried them?
Larry Emrick
Society Member
Last Name: Emrick

Hi Todd:

Wonder of wonders, I have been able to log in after all this time. You may already have received a reply to your post about picket rope and pin but here's another thought. I went back over some of my old research papers and photos and the best I can come up with is that they were strapped high up on the P08 sword scabbard, and parallel to it, on the left side of the horse. I did find a detailed explanation of picketing in bivouac, but no description of carrying them. They must also have been secured to the saddle or sword frog in some matter or they would have just slid off the scabbard.
On a related matter, someone was enquiring about how many saddle blankets on the horse. I have read that troopers often put one of their two personal blankets on top of the regulation saddle blanket.
I rode my 1890, fully kitted out, on Remembrance Day. Still comfortable after all these years.
P.S. I would be interested in seeing your documentary if it becomes available. Youtube perhaps?

Cheers and good riding to all.

Larry Emrick
Larry Emrick
Society Member
Last Name: Emrick

Todd, Pat:
After a bit more research overnight, here's an update: The picket pin, rope and nosebag or water bucket were strapped on the P08 sword scabbard on the left side of the horse and kept in place by placing the picket pin rope loop around the throat of the scabbard. Apparently two picket pins were carried, one for the head and one for the heel, or for securing the ends of the ground line. Very faintly in one photo I found you can see two pins.
The 1912 edition of Yeomanry and Mounted Rifle Training specifies head and heel ropes in bivouac and speaks of a "built-up rope" to which the head rope was tied "with a clove hitch and draw loop". I assume the built-up rope was made up of individual lengths carried by each trooper.
Highlines were also used, either tied to trees in bivouac or fixed to posts in camp. Several photos of highlines exist.

Larry
Todd
Society Member
Last Name: Holmes

Great stuff, thanks!!