Studebaker saddle

Jerry

Hi there every body .I am new to this forum ,so please be gentle with me ;)
I have What i would say is a UP Pattern Saddle .It has a stamp on the leather saying Studebaker 1914 ? I have tried researching Studebaker and from what i can gather they made Lots on contract for the British war office ..
Now . what i knead is a picture of said saddle in its original form as this one has had a few alterations over the years Including having some Aussy Stock flaps tacked on to it and i dont know what else ...I am familiar with the UPs Both the fixed and the swivel ..I have a very old Swivel myself that i restored last year .If i could find out more about this Studebaker saddle ,I would love to restore it back to its origination form But alas i have hit a brick wall as no one i know yet knows anything about them ..
Attachments
studerbaker saddle 2.jpg
studerbaker saddle 2.jpg (114.15 KiB) Viewed 2609 times
studerbaker saddle 3.jpg
studerbaker saddle 3.jpg (98.26 KiB) Viewed 2609 times
studerbaker saddle 4.jpg
studerbaker saddle 4.jpg (117.86 KiB) Viewed 2609 times
studerbaker saddle 1.jpg
studerbaker saddle 1.jpg (107.19 KiB) Viewed 2635 times
Last edited by Jerry on Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Emrick
Society Member
Last Name: Emrick

HI Jerry:
It's pretty hard to tell whether or not it would be worth trying to restore your saddle but you have a big project because of the extent of the modifications, and when you finish, at best, you will have a saddle marred by old needle holes from where you have removed the add-ons. More photos, particularly of the underside, and girth rigging would help, Sadly, these saddles are not worth much more than a few hundred dollars in complete, untampered, rideable condition.
I would say enjoy what you have and if you want a UP watch Ebay because they do appear fairly frequently.
Good Luck whatever you decide to do.
Larry
Jerry

Thanks Larry .I have been debating with myself for a long time about the worthability of this saddle ..If there is better examples still around ,then hey ,it time for it to be used and abused :) Cheers :)